Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stink Bugs
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stink Bugs

Here in MD there's been a bumper crop of stink bugs. It's occurred to me that this is a great brewing opportunity. I was hoping for some advice: do you think the bugs should be used in a role similar to that of hops, or do you think it would be better to use them as the primary ingredient? I'm leaning towards primary ingredient. I suppose you could also treat them more as an adjunct... How would you malt stink bugs? What yeast do you think would be appropriate? I was hoping to make a beer, but am open to a sparkling wine or maybe a mead, if people think those beverages would be better. Anyway, looking forward to your suggestions!

Reason: typo
Bopper Likes This 
Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

EPIC first post!!!!!

I would add them to the mash. That extra protein will be great for head retention!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Liked 767 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 518

I'd try a pale ale to keep the bug yuck flavor and aroma at the fore. Don't forget to grind them very small, to aid in extraction. Do it before your main grain grind, for extra flavor and aroma. I'd also add some post fermentation as a "dry-stinking" to really add some aroma; fermentation c02 may scrub some of that out. The dry stinking addition can be whole bugs, to prevent problems siphoning.

When it comes to bottling/kegging, carb this on the high side to make for a big head when pouring. Serve a whole bug on top of the head for extra visual appeal.
*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club
Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would so sort of a dry hop with them. I think that would really bring through the flavor.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #5

Oooft, thats sounds like a great *i just threw up in my mouth* opportunity!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

My niece tried one in her beer the other day. It was not brewed in, but added (inadvertantly) after the pour. Apparently the flavor is best, and most intense, when fresh, and right after the "crunch"... I wish that I had pointed a video camera at her first...... it was..... uh..... EPIC!.......
Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #7
BIAB Purist
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 92

You really need to start out with a stink bug tea. Get an idea of the flavor and aroma of the ingredient. Then try to pair it up with an existing style that compliments the taste.

Most importantly, be sure to save a few bottles to enter into the HBT home brew competition under category 23 -- Specialty Beer.

AHA - How to Brew in a Bag (BIAB): https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...w-in-a-Bag.pdf
My BIAB Kettle - Bayou Classic 1140, Fermenter - SS Brewtech Brewbucket
Beersmith Podcast - Brew in a Bag (BIAB) Down Under – BeerSmith Podcast 10
Basic Brewing Podcast - BIAB, Proper Terminology
Basic Brewing Podcast - How to BIAB
Online BIAB Calculator -