Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Dumb Sankey Keg Questions

Old 09-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
akthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Default Dumb Sankey Keg Questions

Ok I am sure this is a dumb question.

I am interested in using Sankey kegs as fermenters to make 10 gallon batches. But I am unsure of how you use them???

I know you can buy dip tube/ lids I have seen those. But how do you get beer in there? They have that ball/lock thingy there where the tap goes. How do you remove that?

Also so you can only insert/remove beer from that small hole. Is cleaning it a tough job?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3029 Times on 2935 Posts
Likes Given: 149

There should be a spring clip around the inside of the opening. Remove that witha small pair of pliers. Then turn the inside spear until the notches align, then it lifts up and out. I like his wrench trick for relieving pressure.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom
MrFancyPlants Likes This 
Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Pros to Fermenting with sanke kegs are:

1. Light tight
2. Stainless Steel cleanlyness
3. Once sealed, easy transport Non Breakable!

Cons:

1. HEAVY, with out the added 80+ pounds of wort.
2. Use to be difficult to clean after racking.
3. Little more difficult to get ur hands on.

These are great for fermenting:
Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/

Great Sanke Cleaner tool:
Sanke version may not be listed here on website but email him.

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

So theoretically you could just use a carboy cap and then syphon the beer out with no issues?

Bums me out I used to manage a place where I could get sankey's for pretty much free but I think I can use my contacts to get a couple for the price of the deposit

Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
So theoretically you could just use a carboy cap and then syphon the beer out with no issues?
That's what I do! Orange carboy cap heated and stretched over the opening. To clean I fill with hot water and oxiclean and let it soak for a couple of days, if you're really paranoid you could fill it with 3-4 gallons of water/oxi and put it on your burner.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
PDawg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oooohhh Shiny!!!!!!
http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits

Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
Yep, and very high quality as well! Were I made of money I'd probably purchase a few, maybe I still will after the kids are out of the house.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Landshark67
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
Ok I am sure this is a dumb question.

I am interested in using Sankey kegs as fermenters to make 10 gallon batches. But I am unsure of how you use them???

I know you can buy dip tube/ lids I have seen those. But how do you get beer in there? They have that ball/lock thingy there where the tap goes. How do you remove that?

Also so you can only insert/remove beer from that small hole. Is cleaning it a tough job?

Cleaning a Sankey is very easy. A little PBW (or oxyclean and TSP mixed) and fill up with warm water. Let sit for a few days and then rinse well. (Garden hose) Fill with 1 gallon of starsan. Shake and then cap it off until your brew day.

Yes, Sankeys are heavy when filled with 10-12 gallons of wort. I put mine on a $9 furniture cart (Harbor Freight) and roll it into position.

There lots of You-Tube videos on how to remove keg valves. It takes me an entire 90 seconds.

To get a used keg, go to your local party store and ask if you can buy a returned keg. Sometimes they will sell you one at the cost of a deposit ($30-50). or, they may have one that is kinda beat up and not going back to the distributor. I prefer to buy a 1/2 barrel of beer and then use the keg. AB kegs are the best for homebrewing.