American IPA Anonymous IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlifeisANDY

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 packets S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Kegged
Tasting Notes
See below.
4976883473_ce87da8705_o.jpg

5018369921_388160b4f9_z.jpg

This was my first attempt at an original recipe IPA, and it was a success. The Cascade and Amarillo hops are a winning, citrusy combination. The beer pours with a thin head that maintains lacing all the way through, with a rich, orangey-copper color. Clarity for this batch will improve with time and as such, is slightly hazy in the below picture. Taste is crisp, not overly hopped, but just enough to finish clean and a bit on the bitter side.

Powderhouse Brewery Anonymous IPA

9 lbs. Pale 2-Row (US)
1 lb. Vienna
0.5 lbs. Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs. Crystal 60

1.5 oz. Cascade (5.5% AA) 60 min.
0.75 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA) 15 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (5.5% AA) 15 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (5.5% AA) 5 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA) 5 min.

1 oz. Amarillo & 1 oz. Cascade dry hopped in keg

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes. Batch sparge to 6.5g for the boil.

I added a whirlfloc tablet at 15 min. and pitched 2 packets of S-05.

Comments welcome!

Update on this brew - kicked the keg two days ago. Dry-hopping in the keg is definitely they way to go, as it keeps that delicious citrus aroma to the very end of the batch. This brew clears up wonderfully kegged, especially with the whirlfloc addition at 15min. Lacing is glorious all the way down, aroma is mouth-watering, and the taste is nice and bite-y - think something akin to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with an extra kick.

If anyone tries this recipe, let me know what you think!

trufleshufle13 said:
i didnt know any other /b/tards brewed. nice

I started thread a while ago that had several homebrewers, haven't seen any since

Looks like I'm gonna have to brew this one, or atleast steal the label

My chicamarillo used 1/2 ratio of chinook in the finishing and dry hop along with a cascade amarillo mix. That was a really good brew!! I'm down to my last few bottles!! I'm sure the two hops alone are great, though.

Brew this tonight, actually brewed it yesterday as well but that turned into Anonymous EPA due to user error.

So tonight went much better, first (second) AG brew so I will let you know how I like it.

Bottled this batch up yesterday. I added some more caramel malt and got a bit more color so that turned out well. I skipped the dry hopping but now that I tasted a sample I wish I hadn't.

Think I'm going to brew this one next. Nice work on the label, that's actually what drew me to this one. I've got some extra citra hops (like a half ounce) floating around, any thoughts on throwing them in here somewhere?

I'm pretty stoked right now, just racked this into secondary and it's smelling and tasting pretty good. Also excited that I hit the OG and FG on the nose. Unfortunately I forgot the whirlfloc, so I think I'm gonna have a cloudy IPA on my hands.

Just called in the order to my local brew shop. Will be brewing this beer this weekend. Only issue is they had no Amarillo, so I had to go with Centennial. That was the brew shop recommendation for similar AA's.

Also will be my first AG brew. Been doing extract and mini mash for about 8 months. When I batch sparge, do you recommend I use a flat plate on top of my coleman cooler mash tun? Sorry if I am bugging you on your post!!

Brewed the anonymous IPA this past weekend. first AG batch. OG came in a little low at 1.046. smelled great thanks for the recipe. I will certainly follow-up once I carb this one up in the keg. thanks again!

Yeah, please let me know! I like this recipe a lot, and I think I will be brewing something similar this weekend for the summer months.

i kegged up the anon ipa and all i have to say is wow! the grapefruit aroma and hop taste is great. i did come out a little low on OG as i mentioned in a previous post but still hit 5.5% by my calculations. thanks for the awesome recipe. i will be making this again soon.

just got some citra hops in the mail so i am off to brew an apa. thanks again.

Looking to brew this for my wife who loves high hopped beers (but crazy high hopped beers). I will be bottling this so I would like to know how long you recommend to have the beer in the primary and then how long do you recommend to dry hop the beer prior to bottling? I know most brewers say dry hop to the point of your choice but I don't have much brewing experience with IPA and I don't want to over do this in duration and get grassy flavors.

It depends if you are bottling or kegging.

I primary for 4 weeks as a general rule but you can get away with 3 weeks for this beer. If you bottle, dry hop for a week. If you keg, just dry hop in the keg.

Thanks for the reply. This beer will be bottled since my kegs are all full. I usually let beers go for 4 weeks in my primary with no secondary. So with this beer could I do primary for 4 weeks, then transfer to a carboy for 1 week of dry hopping or should I trasnfer at week 3?

Thanks for the reply. This beer will be bottled since my kegs are all full. I usually let beers go for 4 weeks in my primary with no secondary. So with this beer could I do primary for 4 weeks, then transfer to a carboy for 1 week of dry hopping or should I trasnfer at week 3?

I would ferment it out completely for 4 weeks, then dry hop for a week. You could totally go either way though. I would recommend whole leaf vs. pellet hops for the dry hop, just to make sure you don't mess with your clarity by adding a bunch of hop gunk into the mix.

I usually use a hop sack for dry hopping and will try leaf hops for a change.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to brewing this once we get snow which I use to make a cold water/slush bath to get to a quick cold break. (Cannot run my garden hose to power my wort chiller in the winter).

Anyone done this as a Partial Mash?

9 lbs. Pale 2-Row (US)
1 lb. Vienna
0.5 lbs. Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs. Crystal 60

I'm tempted to keep the speciality grains as is, and use maybe a 1lb of 2-row to cut costs, with 8lb of LME to substitute...

Or would that be totally off base?

Anyone done this as a Partial Mash?

I'm tempted to keep the speciality grains as is, and use maybe a 1lb of 2-row to cut costs, with 8lb of LME to substitute...

Or would that be totally off base?

LME is made from more than just 2 row. there is usually some crystal and carapils added in. I will be similar but not the same.

Take the base malt bill, sub 5.5 lbs. of DME for the 2-row, mash the rest?

You can figure out a conversion if you want - 1 lb. of grain = 0.6 lb. DME. Not sure how much you can mash.

Back