Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Beer on tip of a cider yeast cake?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
TokyoRoad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beer on tip of a cider yeast cake?

Would there be any issues with this?

Currently have 2 batches of cider (one with notty, one with safale) and am wondering about when they are done if there would be any issue with dropping a beer on top of the cake.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

None that I can think of.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think that I read somewhere that yeast can rapidly lose their ability to ferment maltose (the main sugar in wort) if they are in an environment without a significant amount of maltose (like a cider, for example). You could try, but you might end up having to repitch yeast on top of it anyway.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts

as long as you get most of the trub out. you may want to try it with a small test batch first though.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivovar_Koucky View Post
I think that I read somewhere that yeast can rapidly lose their ability to ferment maltose (the main sugar in wort) if they are in an environment without a significant amount of maltose (like a cider, for example). You could try, but you might end up having to repitch yeast on top of it anyway.
This is in How to Brew and a couple other books I've read. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it - otherwise, why aren't we just making starters with table sugar to save money?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivovar_Koucky View Post
That is what I was looking for, do you have a source?

Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Seems like another myth perpetuated by the web?

Old 09-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

As long as you aren't pitching a high gravity beer on it, I don't really see a problem. Maybe the whole simple sugar thing, but I've never really tested that to see if its true. I think its more that you don't want to propagate yeast (as in a starter) with simple sugars. Even if the yeast from the cider cake are a little lazy, there should be more than enough to get the job done.