Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 'The' podcast reference thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
g0dolphins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default 'The' podcast reference thread

I've just recently learned that there are at least a few folks out there who create pod casts for home brew/craft brew. I was wondering if folks recommend any of the pod cast they have stumbled across:

For those of you who are thinking "eh? pod cast. What in the wide wide world of sports is pod cast"? A pod cast is basically where one or more people talk in front of a microphone and convert the conversation to a format that can be linked to, downloaded and played back on the computer.

Here is what I have found so far that seems to be worth listening to/subscribing to:

Basic Brew Radio
Craft Beer Radio
The Brewing Network

Hartline Home Brewery

Primary: - n/a
Secondary: - n/a
Bottled: - Miss Maxine's Nutty Brown Ale
Drinking: - Pancho's Pride Porter, Cooper Duper's Irish Red
On Deck: - Spitfire clone
Brew. Drink. Repeat.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I've been listening and watching Basic Brewing radio. I've never listened in live but I save different shows to my i-Pod and enjoy them when I can.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 112

The two I listen to consistently are Basic Brewing Radio and the Jamil Show. Good info in both. BBR can tend to be a little dry/stuffy, but it's full of great information and very good interviews. Jamil Show is great for learning details about a specific style - when I'm formulating a recipe, I'll go back and listen to show on that style for ideas.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 01-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
runhard
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/
Some useful information and quite funny. The Cellarman seem to know his stuff too and always has a craftbrew in tow. You'll be thoroughly entertained and may learn something along the way and these two have been broadcasting by either radio or internet for over 6 years.

http://www.brewcrazy.com/
A Texas guy so I'll listen to him just for that reason alone. John brewed "Cause of Death" which was featured in Brew Your Own. 24% alcohol and he tells you how he did it. Very informal, causal pace, and definitely an easy to follow format. He doesn't have all the answers but will provide links or reference to those who do/might. Captain Ron is quite entertaining too. He never says a word either.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/
Very informative and I like his style but not near as entertaining as Graham and Ian of craftbrewer.org.

There are a few more

Old 01-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default The Brewing Network

I have listen them several times, the Jamil Show. I put my wife through a few in the long ride home to Chicago over Xmas. The nerdy "brewcasters start up" sent my wife over the edge each time she heard it go.

She pegged them as 30 year old virgins broadcasting from their parents basement. I kind of wondered how accurate that might be....

Regardless, after the lengthy dicussion about diarrhea was over, the cider info was rather interesting.

My guess is their audience is for mid to late 20's single guys into the early thirties.

In a long boring ride it was OK to listen to off my USB Drive.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
runhard
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podcasts/16395

I've heard the Jamil show is good but I haven't gotten around to it. Anyone find it good? He must be knowledgeable as he's taken a # of awards.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts

I was listening to some of the Basic Brewing Radio and the Jamil Show last night while doing some work in the garage. Both are full of great information.

Does anyone else get the impression that some of the people talking to Jamil don't quite know what they're talking about? It seems to me that they ask good questions to Jamil and know many big brewing words, but seem quite baffeled my some of his answers.

I guess what I'm saying is that on Basic Brewing, James usually seems to kind of know the answer ahead of time on many questions, just to further the discussion with whatever guest he's talking to, while the guys around Jamil sometimes throw out blind questions. The Basic Brewing show seems a little more professional to me.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #8
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Who is this AleNut guy I hear about?

Naw really fellas... Just introducing my podcast from TX... I love them all actually. My ipod can't get enough! BrewCrAzY, Brewbubbas, Big Foamy Head... We cross promote like crazy but it is all about homebrewing!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
Whelk
Recipes 

The Jamil Show is great, really find it helpful.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:31 AM   #10
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I actually started out with The Brewing Network's Sunday show, but it's starting to get on my nerves. Though sometimes I still enjoy the FM morning show format of the show.

Jamil's show is great. I get to learn about the styles, but once in a while, I don't always agree with this views. BTW, for becoming home brewer of the year, Jamil's co-host Jon shouldn't as the dumb questions he is asking.

Basic Brewing Radio is a nice contrast to The BN. It seems to me like the NPR of brewing radio. Dry, but full of information and great interviews.

Kai