All grain to Extract recipe - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > All grain to Extract recipe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
yellowthunda
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Anaheim
Posts: 25


this is the recipe to Firestone Double Barrel Ale that i found on this website


5.5 gal batch @ 75% efficiency
aiming for 5% abv, about 1.051

7 lb US 2-row (67%)
1.75 lb Marris Otter (17%)
11.5 oz Munich Malt 10L (7%)
10.5 oz Crystal 80L (6%)
3.5 oz Crystal 120L (2%)
1.5 oz Chocolate Malt (1%)

1/8 oz Magnum 14.6%AA @ 60 min
1/2 oz EK Goldings 4.8%AA @ 30 min
2.5 oz EKG 4.8%AA @ 5 min
2.5 oz Styrian Goldings 4.8%AA @ 5 min

WLP005 or Wyeast 1028


I was wondering how i would i can substitute some of the grains for extract and use the rest as steeping grains.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,028
Liked 7613 Times on 5358 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowthunda View Post
this is the recipe to Firestone Double Barrel Ale that i found on this website


5.5 gal batch @ 75% efficiency
aiming for 5% abv, about 1.051

7 lb US 2-row (67%)
1.75 lb Marris Otter (17%)
11.5 oz Munich Malt 10L (7%)
10.5 oz Crystal 80L (6%)
3.5 oz Crystal 120L (2%)
1.5 oz Chocolate Malt (1%)

1/8 oz Magnum 14.6%AA @ 60 min
1/2 oz EK Goldings 4.8%AA @ 30 min
2.5 oz EKG 4.8%AA @ 5 min
2.5 oz Styrian Goldings 4.8%AA @ 5 min

WLP005 or Wyeast 1028


I was wondering how i would i can substitute some of the grains for extract and use the rest as steeping grains.
Can you do a partial mash? Well, I know you can, so that's a silly question. Some of those malts, like Munich, must be mashed. It's just like steeping, though, so it's easy to do. I guess the question to go back to you is how many/how big of grain bags you have, so we can figure out how much grain you can use and how much extract you'd need. I'd be happy to do the conversion for you if you just let me know that, along with how big your boil kettle is.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
bullinachinashop
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
NE Ohio
Posts: 1,046
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts


Yoop,
Briess now makes a LME Munich so if he can get it through his LHBS, he will just have to steep his specialties.
I can plug it into beersmith when I can get on my other computer.

Bull

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,028
Liked 7613 Times on 5358 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
Yoop,
Briess now makes a LME Munich so if he can get it through his LHBS, he will just have to steep his specialties.
I can plug it into beersmith when I can get on my other computer.

Bull
Yeah, but Maris Otter is great and doesn't come in an extract. With a PM, you can use MO and the Munich and all the specialty grains and only sub extract for the two-row, if you can mash 4ish pounds of grain.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
yellowthunda
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Anaheim
Posts: 25

Well that's the thing, i'm still new to brewing and haven't tried all grain brewing so i'm not too familiar with partial mashes.

i just know how to do extract brewing plus steeping grains

i was wondering if it is possible to use a can of extract for the malts that need to be mashed. i know it won't taste the same, but is it possible to get a beer that tastes relatively close?
Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
bullinachinashop
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
NE Ohio
Posts: 1,046
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts


Check out this thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/

Bull

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,028
Liked 7613 Times on 5358 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowthunda View Post
Well that's the thing, i'm still new to brewing and haven't tried all grain brewing so i'm not too familiar with partial mashes.

i just know how to do extract brewing plus steeping grains

i was wondering if it is possible to use a can of extract for the malts that need to be mashed. i know it won't taste the same, but is it possible to get a beer that tastes relatively close?
Thanks
Here's what I'd do:

Put all the grains except the 2-row in a grain bag (or two, if the bags are small).

Bring 5.25 quarts of water to 165 degrees. Add the grain bags, and stir very well to make sure all the grains are wetted thoroughly. Check the temperature to make sure it's between 150-158. Cover and let sit for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, lift the grainbag(s) out, and put in a strainer over your brewpot. Pour over 170 degree water until you reach your boil volume. It's easiest if you have your pot marked someway so you know when you're at your volume. Bring to a boil, and add the hops as directed.

With 10 minutes left in the boil, stir in 4.5 pounds of DME. You want to take the pot off the heat for a minute while you do this. Then put it back on the heat and keep stirring until it's all dissolved. The boil may stop for a few minutes, but that's ok it'll boil again. Add the rest of the hops as directed. Then cool the wort in your normal way.

That should work. Let me know if you have any further questions.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Beer_Guy
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Lubbock, TX
Posts: 616
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post

After 45 minutes, lift the grainbag(s) out, and put in a strainer over your brewpot. Pour over 170 degree water until you reach your boil volume.
So partial mash is just pouring 170* water over the STEEPED grains.

Let me know if that is all there is to it. If so my brews options are greatly increased.
__________________
“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
Beer_Guy
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Lubbock, TX
Posts: 616
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Also, since 2-row is out, I assume 6-row is too. Any others?
__________________
“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,028
Liked 7613 Times on 5358 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post
So partial mash is just pouring 170* water over the STEEPED grains.
nope. Mashing is holding the temperature at 150-155 for 45-60 minutes with a precise amount of water. "Sparging" is pouring the water over the grains to "rinse" them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post
Also, since 2-row is out, I assume 6-row is too. Any others?
Well, if you don't want to mash, you can't use Munich malt, two-row, six-row, pilsner malt, biscuit malt, etc.

If you're not willing to do a PM, then you can steep crystal malts and other specialty malts like chocolate.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting an all-grain recipe to extract+steeping grain Finn Extract Brewing 9 08-24-2010 11:55 PM
Cane sugar in Extract Recipe/DIPA recipe jmb5x4 Extract Brewing 4 01-21-2010 06:19 AM
opinions, advice on recipe for 1st grain/extract brew shuie Extract Brewing 5 08-25-2009 02:51 AM
All Grain to Extract Recipe Conversion help. wedge421 Extract Brewing 4 03-04-2008 12:45 AM
Question about steeping grain in extract/grain brew grez Extract Brewing 16 09-18-2006 03:37 PM


Forum Jump