Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GABF Gluten Free Winners

Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #21
DirtbagHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

it looks like they have a house yeast, too. i doubt they are pitching safale or coopers.
is it a chance a large part of their characteristics are from their yeast?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHomebrew View Post
it looks like they have a house yeast, too. i doubt they are pitching safale or coopers.
is it a chance a large part of their characteristics are from their yeast?
Yes, deschutes has a house yeast. For this beer, they isolated one yeast cell and grew it up to as much yeast as they needed on Sorghum. I can recommend yeasts that are like Deschutes, but they are all Wyeast.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, im working on a fermentation chamber. 3deep x 5 long x 3.5 tall. 2x4 skeleton, plywood ectoderm, at least 2in of foam insulation mesoderm, drywall endoderm. this should give me room for 2 primaries, 2 secondaries, 2 corny kegs, a wall heater with thermostat. and 2 shelves above it. ill have room to ferment. and since i work in a microbio lab. i have aquired some potato dextrose agar plates (yes they are GF) and i have several non-gf homebrewers around. so im going to start isolating different yeast strains and grow them up. if i can find a way to ship i might be willing to ship off starters, too.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
well, im working on a fermentation chamber. 3deep x 5 long x 3.5 tall. 2x4 skeleton, plywood ectoderm, at least 2in of foam insulation mesoderm, drywall endoderm. this should give me room for 2 primaries, 2 secondaries, 2 corny kegs, a wall heater with thermostat. and 2 shelves above it. ill have room to ferment. and since i work in a microbio lab. i have aquired some potato dextrose agar plates (yes they are GF) and i have several non-gf homebrewers around. so im going to start isolating different yeast strains and grow them up. if i can find a way to ship i might be willing to ship off starters, too.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #25
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
You might try to find some sort of maltose to grow stuff on. It will surely work either way, but having the yeast used to eating the tougher sugars is beneficial to lag time and attenuation. Other than that, it sounds like a great plan.

Your fermentation chamber is very big. I am wondering if you have that many things that require the same ferment temp, or if you are just using it as a giant yeast culture lab.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"the lab" is large.. ill post some pics of it soon. i still have to make doors for it. and paint the inside. i made it that large with the thoughts about being able to hold 2x 8gal primary buckets, 2x 6 gal carboys, 2x corneys, room to grow, enough space above to hold shelves for isolation and growing up starters, a small heater, and most importantly enough space to allow adequate air flow around everything.
in terms of isolation. i was chatting with the boss (micro phd) and were were discussing growth mediums. the industry standard is potato dextrose agar. we came to the conclusiong that for isolation and storage. the dextrose is simple to break down and should allow the buggers to last longer. and to use a prepared wort to stage up to pitching doses. once we inoculate the liquid media, the 3-4 stages it will take to grow up to pitching quantities, should work to acclimatize the yeast to the GF environment. theory is theory so well see how application goes. prolly starting next week... ill have a little bit of time during the thanksgiving school break.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #27
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
and to use a prepared wort to stage up to pitching doses.
Prepared wort...do you mean dextrose or some sort of actual beer ingredient containing maltose?

I tend to agree that it would be easier on the yeast to feed em what they like at first, but at some point you have to switch em over to the right stuff for the job.

But hey, I'm no biologist...

Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #28
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry about hijacking the post thou

Old 11-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #29
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
sorry about hijacking the post thou
If we stayed on track, we would all still be eating and drinking gluten.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #30
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

for prepared wort, i brewed a 2 gal batch and canned it to mason jars. pop the top on a jar and dispense to culture tubes or flasks.. but the box has been put on hold till next week. my truck blew its fuel pump. so that has taken precidence. its taken me a week to find parts. last thing is putting a new fuel line on and put the tank back up.