Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Brew Kettle Insulation / Jacket - What material

Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
weathejx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brew Kettle Insulation / Jacket - What material

Good news, everybody, I'm upgrading from my crab pot to a 8gal SS brew kettle.

However, I'm stuck brewing in my apartment, on an electric range. I didn't think about this before ordering and I'm worried about being able to do a full 5gal boil.

Solutions I've seen include:
  • Wrapping the pot with a towel
  • Wrapping the pot with bubble insulation
  • Wrapping the pot in foil
  • Wrapping the burner traps with foil

I'm not willing to use a towel due to fire hazards. Wrapping the burner traps is a no brainer, so that should redirect some of the heat back up. Is there something I can pick up locally and fashion into a jacket? I'm planning on running by lowes/home depot soon to pickup some other supplies and will check out the insulation there.

John

Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
weathejx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If i cant get my brew boiling ill pick up some of this Reflectix pipe wrap that I've seen other people use.

Should keep it insulated and I can tape the lower wrap with aluminum tape to prevent burns.

John

Old 09-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
onelegout
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathejx View Post
If i cant get my brew boiling ill pick up some of this Reflectix pipe wrap that I've seen other people use.

Should keep it insulated and I can tape the lower wrap with aluminum tape to prevent burns.

John
I wrapped mine in a giant version of that pipe wrap - got it on ebay, it's basically foil bubble wrap insulation. I then fixed it in place with aluminium foil tape.
Primary: BM's Centennial Blonde 4% APA
Kegerator: Henry's Haus Pale Ale 4.5% PA
Bottled: 'Wooly Jumper' 5.08%ABV Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: 'Weissbeater' 5.2%ABV Weiss
Bottled: 'Maypole' 4.5%ABV Dark Ale

Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Build a Heatstick!
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)