Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Merry Monks Clone (ANYBODY?)

Old 09-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
balazs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Merry Monks Clone (ANYBODY?)

I've been searching on the web and on the HBT site and can't find a Weyerbacher Merry Monks clone or even a starting point anywhere. I feel it is probably the best tasting American made Belgian Golden I've had yet and would really like to try brewing it. Anybody know anything about the recipe? I actually don't even hear to much about Weyerbacher around here in the first place so don't know if I am chasing a ghost. Something about the flavor profile of this beer though that is just so freaking good. ANYBODY?????

Old 09-18-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It'll be tough to find a bunch of people that drank the beer. As you probably know Weyerbacher is a pretty small brewery. I only live two hours away and most of the distributors don't carry their beers. If they do it's one or two kinds. The distributor I frequent carries all their stuff though. Hmm I feel a tour in the future. The wife really wants to check the brewery out too.

You might try and email them I do believe they started out as homebrewers so they might give you some hints.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just tried one.

I'd start with a tripel, add a couple of lbs or so of wheat malt, but probably not over about 4 lbs max (if you're looking to clone it, start low and work up), and culture the yeast from the bottle as that's where the majority of the character is coming from (a little banana, some pepper notes, some fruity esters). The alcohol was noticeable and I think the plain sugar is upwards of a golden strong type of beer so far as content, or else they don't let it lager for a period to smooth it out. I really think this beer would benefit to a period of time during fermentation where it is fermented cooler then warmed up slightly to ensure it is "finished," then lagered cold.

Just off the top of my head...

For 5.5 gallons:

13 lb Pils Malt
2 lb Wheat Malt
3+ lb sugar (Cane sugar should be fine)

You can add the sugar after the fermentation kicks off or at the end of the boil. Either would probably work.

Hops are subdued in flavor so I'd probably just use Northern Brewer for bittering and then a Mt. Hood, Styrian Goldings, or something similar at 15 mins (it has an earthy note I can't really pin down that may be from the hops or from the yeast so I'd have to have more of the beer to really determine what I was tasting). I wouldn't go much over 35 IBU, if that, with the vast majority of it coming from the bittering addition. The bitterness is noticeable.

If you can't get the yeast to culture from the bottle, WLP500 or similar would work but I don't think this is the yeast that is used. You may want to do a little research as to what each Belgian strain brings to the party and go from there. The yeast is quite important to the overall beer; flavor and aroma are very much from the yeast in this beer.

Don't know if that helps or is all that close but, from what I just tasted, it should be a good start.

Good luck and report back on what you find.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
TwoWheeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barc View Post
Just tried one.
Just off the top of my head...

For 5.5 gallons:

13 lb Pils Malt
2 lb Wheat Malt
3+ lb sugar (Cane sugar should be fine)

You can add the sugar after the fermentation kicks off or at the end of the boil. Either would probably work.

Hops are subdued in flavor so I'd probably just use Northern Brewer for bittering and then a Mt. Hood, Styrian Goldings, or something similar at 15 mins (it has an earthy note I can't really pin down that may be from the hops or from the yeast so I'd have to have more of the beer to really determine what I was tasting). I wouldn't go much over 35 IBU, if that, with the vast majority of it coming from the bittering addition. The bitterness is noticeable.

If you can't get the yeast to culture from the bottle, WLP500 or similar would work but I don't think this is the yeast that is used. You may want to do a little research as to what each Belgian strain brings to the party and go from there. The yeast is quite important to the overall beer; flavor and aroma are very much from the yeast in this beer.

Well, I'm not the OP, but I too am trying to clone MM as my "house" beer.

I tried something very similar to what you posted:
  • 13.5 Lbs Belgian Pilsner
  • 2lbs. Candi sugar,
  • Saaz hops (1 oz @60, .5 oz at 15 and 5 min) and
  • Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes.

Came out pretty lame. I ended up trying to "oak" it, just to give it SOME character. I'm inclined to agree that much of the character comes from the yeast. What does the wheat malt bring to the party? ( I ask because I thought maybe I should add at least a LITTLE specialty grain next time).

I think I'm going to try smaller batches until I get it right - sucks being stuck with five gallons of "bratwurst boiling beer"....

Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Bringing things back from the dead.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:

Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ok, so just toured the brewery on Saturday, and have this to report....

Didn't want to be the smartass of the tour and ask tons of geeky questions, so I don't know about percentages, yeast strain, or hops, but they only "base" malt sacks I saw lying around were Weyermann Vienna and Munich (didn't pay attention enough to see if I or II), and Munton's Pale Ale. My guess is that they use Munton's pale ale as their base malt, and then Vienna and Munich as needed to fill it out before using specialty malts (didn't want to start climbing around too much, but did see a sack of Gambrinus honey malt in there, as well as some Weyermann's Carafa in there, not that it applies to the topic).

Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
TwoWheeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
So if I don't use the "search" function, I get flamed, but if I DO, I get flamed for thread dredging?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
TwoWheeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOH View Post
Didn't want to be the smartass of the tour and ask tons of geeky questions,
Aw c'mon, you should have taken one for the team!

(Actually, I live near Saranac, Middle Ages and Ommegang, and have asked a bunch of questions on their tours...and the tour guides always seemed happy to answer - sometimes, I think they're pleasantly surprised to have people on the tour who aren't just there for the tasting portion )

Some brewers are pretty forthcoming with their recipes, some give vague hints...

Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeler View Post
So if I don't use the "search" function, I get flamed, but if I DO, I get flamed for thread dredging?

That wasn't a flame, that was an observation.

Yet another reason I don't post here anymore...