Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Arkansas Brewers

Old 09-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Arkansas Brewers

Hi, I wanted to start gathering information about what is in and around Arkansas for homebrewers and beer lovers. I will be moving there within a month for my first real job and be living near the Fort Smith area. So I was looking to find out what are good places to buy craft beer and if there are any homebrew clubs in that area.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
Hi, I wanted to start gathering information about what is in and around Arkansas for homebrewers and beer lovers. I will be moving there within a month for my first real job and be living near the Fort Smith area. So I was looking to find out what are good places to buy craft beer and if there are any homebrew clubs in that area.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!
Yep, lad, you're in for a really disturbing culture change. It will be like going back in time to before you were even born. Craft Brewing is only an idea here. There is a HBC called "Hell On The Border Homebrew Club". Can't say more than that because I've never attended. Local HB supplies are skimpy. The Fort Smith Area is wet, but the surrounding counties are dry.
Now, if you asked about churches....... Good luck in your new job..

Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Yep, lad, you're in for a really disturbing culture change. It will be like going back in time to before you were even born. Craft Brewing is only an idea here. There is a HBC called "Hell On The Border Homebrew Club". Can't say more than that because I've never attended. Local HB supplies are skimpy. The Fort Smith Area is wet, but the surrounding counties are dry.
Now, if you asked about churches....... Good luck in your new job..
Haha, thanks. What kind of craft beer makes it to that area though do you know?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Anybody else with any input?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Brek81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know of What is/isn't available for sure, but have been looking a little since I'm hoping to move down there in a couple years. I have learned from my trips there that about half the counties are dry, and most of the licensed breweries are in the Greater Little Rock area.

I would defiantly like to see what you find out for sure.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
kstater
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
Haha, thanks. What kind of craft beer makes it to that area though do you know?
Live in a dry county about an hour away from Ft. Smith

Options are fairly limited IIRC I checked out a couple places in FS once, had a decent score, but not great. You take what you can get and it's relatively pricy. There's a place in LR(2 hours from Ft Smith) that's good. SpringHill Wine and Spirits. I think there's a couple decent places up towards Fayeteville/Springdale/Rogers but not sure of them.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
DeBrewer
Recipes 

The only ones I can speak for are Diamond Bear, Boscos, and Vinos. We also have the distillery that just opened. These are all in Little Rock though. There is a decently large group of brewers in the Central Arkansas Fermenters (CAF for short). We are involved in the Littlerocktoberfest and the beer judging at the state fair. We are also involved in a number of events but those are the next two in the pipe. Cheers!

http://www.boscosbeer.com/

http://www.vinosbrewpub.com/

http://www.diamondbear.com/

http://drinkbrandons.com/

http://www.centralarkansasfermenters.com/

Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ok thanks for the input. I was thinking that travel may be involved and even Tulsa OK would be a possibility as it would be about the same distance as little rock for me.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Lando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As an arkie native all I can say is best of luck. It's a great place IMO and i can't wait to move back, but the beer culture sucks.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
l4ndr0n
Recipes 

If you want to buy something out of the mainstream for home, your best bet is a trip to Fayetteville. The hipsters there make it worthwhile for stores there to stock interesting beers. Try 'Liquor Mart' or 'Liquor World' (really generic names I know, but good selections). The market doesn't really exist in Fort Smith.

Fayetteville also has a Home Brew Shop...dunno the quality.

However, if you just want to go out and get a good beer, ONE restaurant in Fort Smith seems to have a good tap selection. R. Landry's Downtown... they have good 'creole' food too.

I just moved from there to Baton Rouge. I am from Fayetteville, but was commuting to Fort Smith for work. It's a beautiful area to live, enjoy it!