Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > EKG or US Kent Goldings

Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
tonton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default EKG or US Kent Goldings

We have a dilemma here at atonofhops. I want to add EKG to the in stock varieties, but the real ones are really high priced! I've gotten really good pricing on US Kent Goldings, but what do you guys think I should do? I really would appreciate some input on this one because I don't like the idea of pulling a fast one (like my LHBS does when they sell me "EKG" and it is really the lower priced US version and they charge $3/oz).

That said, I really can't tell any difference between the two, but I know that if I'm going to sell them on the website, I want to be honest. I only have one spot available in my freezers, so which one do I buy? Any thoughts?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

I'd say stock the US Kent Goldings. It's the same hop (USDA 21680) and I've never been able to tell the difference between ones grown in the U.K. or the USA.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
tonton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Neither can I, and I've dealt with a lot of hops. However thier is a community amongst the homebrewers that believe in "purity". I guess I would be guilty of this myself. I am the guy that searches out the exact ingredients (even though I know my beer isn't nearly as refined as a true brewmaster's) so as to make it as perfect as I can. I am just trying to figure out which is better for the homebrew community as a whole. If I go with my gut feeling (the real thing) I may be way too overpriced and they will get freezer burn, and get tossed.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just to clarify. If they are kent goldings then they are not US goldings right? I think Kent is a location.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
alecoholic
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

There is a subtle difference between Kent Goldings and Yakima (US) Goldings. The Kent version is more woody and the Yakima version has more herbal/floral aromatics. I actually prefer the Yak Goldings, but this may be due to the fact that the Yak are likely fresher. I'm talking about whole hops here not pellets.

Goldings is one of my favorite hops and I bought 1 lb of Yak and 1 lb of Kent from HopsDirect last fall.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Just to clarify. If they are kent goldings then they are not US goldings right? I think Kent is a location.
The hop is listed as East Kent Goldings or Kent Goldings and Kent is the place in the U.K. where the the hop originated. If grown in the US, it is sold as US Goldings or US Kent Goldings. Legitimate suppliers reserve the name EKG for hops grown in Kent.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
tonton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The price I would have to list EKG at is $2.50 per pond more than the US equivalent. I only have one spot on the site and freezer, so I want to get something that will sell fairly well. I guess I'm just not really sure if the average home brewer would pay the extra to get the real thing.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Some will, some won't. I, for one, more often than not don't. I can't spot the difference once it's in the kettle. There is a very subtle difference when you rub fresh cones from each variety - enough that the trained smeller can spot it in a blind test - but not so much as I'd opt for the true Kents.

Kudos to you for making an ethical decision. Me, I'd stock the US variety and label them as US-grown. Honesty is the best policy.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 09-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Stock the US. If people want the UK version, they'll buy them elsewhere. I'm in the 'don't really care' group. I'll use what I have or what's cheaper.

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
tonton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input. I believe that the US version is what we will stock.