Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Removing posts of ball-lock

Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
Would this work, or would it not be deep enough?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3925582&aff=cj
I use the flat version. It takes up less space in the drawer.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Open /box combination end wrenches work for me. I use cheap ones I found at garage sales or flea markets, I don't remember where. I think they are stamped India, which means they were made back before China cornered the market on imitation tools.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

While we're on the topic of removing the posts...correct me if I'm wrong, but the gas in is differentiated from the liquid out by some form of grooves or notches on the post? Where are those grooves. I see some on the corners of the post...but not sure if those are the marking, or just some grooves done by the previous owner who was trying to take the post off with an inappropriate tool?

Besides the posts, the poppets and o-rings are identical..correct?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
sleephla
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

I'm having some major issues with the fittings on both my ball-lock kegs that I just received from kegconnection.com. I was hoping I could see if anyone could help out with what's going on. After the advice of this thread, I just bought a 7/8" 12 point deep socket wrench to remove the post. On one of the two kegs I have, it has the star shape fitting seen below in red. I was able to loosen and then unscrew this one with the wrench. The other side of the keg (beer out) looks as if the wrench will fit on it, but I cannot for the life of me get it unscrewed. I've tried it with a buddy together, and this little bastard will not unscrew. This may be a dumb question, but shouldn't the same socket wrench unscrew both the in and the out part of the keg? Can anyone help me out with this situation to ensure that I am using the correct tool to unscrew this? The pictures below show the socket wrench I'm using as well as the gas in post that I'm able to unscrew (red) and the beer out (black) that I cannot unscrew.

Thanks for your help!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG109.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	65185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG108.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	65186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG110.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	65187  

Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 470 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Yep, they should both be the same size.

Is it just too tight? If that's the case, you may need to "force" it.

I've had some that were tighter than a mofo the first time and had to use a hammer to whack the wrench to get 'em loose. I make sure when I put them back on not to get too carried away with over-tightening.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1913 Times on 1490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
While we're on the topic of removing the posts...correct me if I'm wrong, but the gas in is differentiated from the liquid out by some form of grooves or notches on the post? Where are those grooves. I see some on the corners of the post...but not sure if those are the marking, or just some grooves done by the previous owner who was trying to take the post off with an inappropriate tool?
If you look at these two pictures (from kegconnection.com) you can see the notches on the gas posts on the left.

Quote:
Besides the posts, the poppets and o-rings are identical..correct?
For ball locks, yes, the O-rings are the same size. Not sure about pin locks as I've never used them, but at the least it seems that they are not the same size as used on ball lock posts...

Cheers!
sleephla Likes This 
Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1913 Times on 1490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleephla View Post
[...]Can anyone help me out with this situation to ensure that I am using the correct tool to unscrew this?[...]
A 12-point 7/8" socket or box wrench is the correct tool, so you're good there. You just ran into a post that some knucklehead torqued the cr@p out of. The suggestion to whack the end of your wrench is a good one and your best bet.

If you don't have a extra pair of hands available, lay the keg down and sit on it, grip it with your thighs, rotate it to give you the best shot at the wrench handle, and give the wrench a good smack. You'll get it loose eventually

Cheers - and good luck!
sleephla Likes This 
Old 06-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 470 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 178

And when using a hammer as a "helper", the dead-blow type works pretty well.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
sleephla
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

Thank you all for the replies. It did turn out that whoever tightened the one post, went a little out of control. I poured near boiling water on it, and then used some more force and this finally did the trick.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Definitely recommend the Craftsman ratcheting wrenches. I used a deep socket and still had trouble removing some posts (meaning some corny keg types)...it's like the socket doesn't sit well on the posts of some kegs. My craftsman wrench works on everything and it's easier to use IMO...plus, it's dedicated for cornies so I can keep it close to my kegs and leave the socket set in its case. One is offset and the other is not...choose one:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16...65000P?prdNo=1
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16...65000P?prdNo=2