Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > AG Brewer needs to fill the pipeline...10 gallon brew question

Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
brewdogskip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AG Brewer needs to fill the pipeline...10 gallon brew question

Howdy, long time AG brewer needs lots of beer in a hurry.

I am limited to 5 gallon max batches with 5+ hours of labor. I was considering making a 10 gallon extract batch of an easy pale (Edworts haus pale) with a partial boil in my turkey fryer.

Can I just double the ingredients, partial boil 5 gallons, split between two fermenters, and fill to 5 gallons each? Do I need to worry about hop amounts or will the end result be the same if I just double? Anyone done something like this?

Thanks all, cheers!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Haven't done a large enough batch to try that (kettle is a bit on the small side), but I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. As long as the wort you separate is exactly 50/50 between both fermenters, I don't see a problem.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: emptyness
Bottled/Fridge: Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Extra
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 19th Anniversary
Kegerator: skint
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
dilligas2u
Recipes 

I do that all the time. I just double everything and I have not had a problem yet,

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm not an expert, but I believe that a higher gravity (like you have when doing a partial boil) will give you lower hop utilization. You may need to increase your hops to get the right bitterness/aroma profile.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
shuf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivovar_Koucky View Post
I'm not an expert, but I believe that a higher gravity (like you have when doing a partial boil) will give you lower hop utilization. You may need to increase your hops to get the right bitterness/aroma profile.
I've seen a few topics debating this, but you should be able to get around any concern with a late extract addition- add a few pounds for the full 60 minute boil and then add the remaing at 15 minutes or flame out. A late extract might be a better way to go because it will help prevent carmalization.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
brewdogskip
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to try doubling on Monday and report back with results, its been a long time since an extract brew, I hope I don't f*ck it up!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Brewdog,
how did this work out for you? I've done it before with a Pale ale recipe and pitched two seperate yeasts giving me an American and a Belgian pale. I simply doubled all ingredients. I chilled via CFC into my 7.9 gallon fermenter and poured half into my 6 gallon carboy. Topped both up to 5 gallons and pitched my different yeasts. I plan to do this again because I got twice the beer for very minimal extra effort and the quality of the beer produced was great.