Overrated Breweries at GABF - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Overrated Breweries at GABF
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
NorCalAngler
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Roseville, CA
Posts: 699
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts



http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociet...a_six-pack.php

I just read this post this morning and I agree with almost every beer on his list. The exception for me is Pliny. It set the mark and remains one of the best double IPAs out there even with all the hype.


__________________
Drink what you like and share when you can. Support your local breweries.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,982
Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts


i like Bear's Hop Rod, but it's not something I could drink on a regular basis. I don't think I've ever had anything else from them.

I've never had Pliny, or anything else from Russian River, so I can't comment.

Brooklyn is OK, and the few beers I've had from Goose Island were pretty good.

Dogfish definitely belongs on the list (and at the top).

I think New Belgium should be on there, too. In the #2 spot.


__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Boerderij_Kabouter
 
Boerderij_Kabouter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,736
Liked 146 Times on 118 Posts


No offense to anyone, but I disagree 100%. The only thing in there that I agree with is that Fat Tire isn't awesome. But like he said, I don't know anyone who really loves the stuff because it is an awesome beer. It is a solid flagship beer and good for drinking without thinking, just like almost every flagship beer in existence...

I would not read this duder's blog.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,982
Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
The only thing in there that I agree with is that Fat Tire isn't awesome. But like he said, I don't know anyone who really loves the stuff because it is an awesome beer. It is a solid flagship beer and good for drinking without thinking, just like almost every flagship beer in existence...
The only time I drink Fat Tire is when I am in a restaurant that offers nothing other that BMC and Fat Tire.

The only thing I really LIKE from NB is Ranger. 1554 hits the spot sometimes, but not always.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
jordanpace
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Posts: 240
Liked 14 Times on 3 Posts


it seems if a brewery makes a beer that a lot of people like, the "craft brew" crowd will automatically hate it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
maxamuus
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Utah
Posts: 867
Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanpace View Post
it seems if a brewery makes a beer that a lot of people like, the "craft brew" crowd will automatically hate it.
I have noticed this as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
jbrookeiv's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 1,311
Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts


Wow, what a pointless article.

How about the 6 most UNDERRATED breweries? What does this article accomplish?

Every one of those breweries produces great beer.

Ever thought that maybe they just don't fit into the styles he enjoys?

Very lame article, IMO.
__________________
My publication: Crafted Magazine, dedicated to handcrafted goods with a big focus on Made in USA. We cover craft beer, bikes, coffee, music, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
NorCalAngler
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Roseville, CA
Posts: 699
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanpace View Post
it seems if a brewery makes a beer that a lot of people like, the "craft brew" crowd will automatically hate it.
I don't think that's true, but there is a current trend of hipsters latching on to craft beer because it's obscure and "cool." The hipsters are the people that will abandon ship once a beer gets enough recognition to go mainstream because then they don't see it as a cool thing to drink.

Craft brew drinkers know when a beer is hyped above what it offers.
__________________
Drink what you like and share when you can. Support your local breweries.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
jbrookeiv's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 1,311
Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAngler View Post
I don't think that's true, but there is a current trend of hipsters latching on to craft beer because it's obscure and "cool." The hipsters are the people that will abandon ship once a beer gets enough recognition to go mainstream because then they don't see it as a cool thing to drink.
I hate hipsters.

__________________
My publication: Crafted Magazine, dedicated to handcrafted goods with a big focus on Made in USA. We cover craft beer, bikes, coffee, music, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Verona, WI
Posts: 239
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


I wish he'd listed the "dozen IPA that are more balanced and more flavorful than Racer 5" instead of douching on and on about something else.

I agree with most of the comments.

Although.... "The usual Colorado elitism."

Does that really exist or is this "blogger" making Colorado beer enthusiasts look like idiots?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NHC or GABF: If you could only go to one? Brewme General Beer Discussion 7 09-10-2011 02:01 AM
Gabf!!! carnevoodoo General Beer Discussion 9 08-09-2010 10:03 AM
Gabf celticcolorado General Beer Discussion 1 07-19-2010 06:18 PM
Saison DuPont... Overrated? Skunky? DansBrew General Beer Discussion 9 12-12-2009 03:53 AM
Must tries at the GABF Parker36 General Beer Discussion 18 07-28-2009 11:45 PM


Forum Jump