Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #281
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Raison D'Etra. God it took all I had to choke down all 6 of em. I would rather drink BL lime than that again.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #282
Alemaker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat

Sam's specialty brews have been going downhill for a while now, but with this, I actually gagged a little and then sent it back. A new low. Stick to what your good at, Mr. Koch! (Though I loved their Noble Pils, go figure)

The Noble Pils was surprisingly good. I really liked that one.

There are so many bad beers out there, macro and micro. Not sure if I could really pick the "worst", but I'll leave a couple here.

Macro: Natural Light. I think this is the only beer I have ever turned down upon someone offering one to me for free.

Micro: I think the brewery went under, but there was a truly terrible beer called Texas Tornado. I'm not sure what style of beer it was supposed to be, but it was cloudy and tasted infected.

I think there's a lot "craft" breweries don't really live up to the name. Too many quality issues that are either missed or ignored.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #283
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikesit2000 View Post
Funny...that's what I pee after a few homebrews.
Your urine probably has more hop aroma than Steel Reserve.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 AM   #284
bunky28
Recipes 

I'd have to agree on OE 800 that we used to drink in college. Why did we drink it? It was stronger than anything else we could buy then so we gutted out the taste and drank them as fast as we could.
Now that I'm a beer snob, the worst recently that I've had was a Peaks Brewing (Port Angeles, WA) IPA a couple years ago. They've since made some changes and it is now drinkable.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 AM   #285
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

Leinenkugel's Berry Weisse. If I wanted Koolaide added to my beer I'd do it myself. Seriously this stuff was just foul. A close second would be Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. What I don't get, is that I like plenty of other fruit beers (mainly sour though) but these two are just terrible.
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #286
Gustav
Recipes 

This is an interesting topic. My two points I would judge by are: 1) is it fresh (or aged) and 2)is it something I would want to drink anyway. I can buy many different kinds of beer from around the world locally - but, I don't know how long they have beem around. If I see a 2008 fresh harvest beer on the shelf it has obviously been setting. I also don't like a lot of stuff in my beer like cherries, lime etc..
With that said I had some fresh 90 minute Dogfish Head IIPA that I could barely put half a glass down before I had to chuck it. Now 2 years later I can drink the whole bottle.
I was in a pub where they had Magic Hat #9 on tap. I had heard about it but none of the specifics. So when I took a swig I tasted a hint of Apricot. This to me was a refreshing summer beer - but, I probably would not have tried if I knew there was apricot in it.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #287
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bud American Ale. Guiness.
Keg 2: Drinking Ed Wort's Apfelwein 3.5.10
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Keg 5: Empty

Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #288
gratefuldisc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Hooker Watermelon Ale. Love the brewery but this tastes like someone put a watermelon jollyrancher in a bottle of coors light. My wife's girlfriends love it though...
Kegged: Empty
Planning: not sure?

HopRiverAles (my blog)

Old 09-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #289
MattyD
Recipes 

Back in college, my roommate brought home 3 cases of something called "Phat Boyz" that only came in 40 ounce bottles and it was a high gravity malt liquor at around 7.9% ABV. I think he got them for .79 cents a bottle. Horrible beer.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 AM   #290
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyD View Post
Back in college, my roommate brought home 3 cases of something called "Phat Boyz" that only came in 40 ounce bottles and it was a high gravity malt liquor at around 7.9% ABV. I think he got them for .79 cents a bottle. Horrible beer.
But it got you tanked. Very few beers that come in 40 oz bottles are meant to be savored.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA