Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had? - Page 147 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #1461
JeepBrew
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Castle Rock, Colorado
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Blatz, 1982. Mixed bag though. It was awful but I could buy lots of it. After the first one I didn't care as long as I kept it really cold.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #1462
Unibrow
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Cleveland, OH
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Rolling Rock is nectar of the gods compared to some Sam Adams fruit beers, and Natty light

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #1463
spak
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Waterford, Michigan
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bud Light Chelada. The worst thing ever, and I only had a sip in college and I still remember it. As far as craft goes, the worst was a 2008 bottle of DFH Fort. Tasted like raspberry juice and grain alcohol. Don't know went wrong there, but every other Dogfish Beer I ever have had has been enjoyable.
Secondary 2: none
Bottles: Export Stout, Belgian Wit IPA, Belgian Blonde, Columbus/Simcoe IPA, Nelson/Sorachi Saison, Cinnamon/Orange zest spiced Dunkelweizen

Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #1464
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 492 Times on 397 Posts

I won't even try Chelada. I hate tomato juice (and bloody marys) so the thought of mixing that with beer just makes me avoid it like the plague.

I suppose one of these days I will end up judging fruit beers or vegetable/spice beers in some competition, and end up with a tomato beer....

Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #1465
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Medford, NY
Liked 37 Times on 20 Posts

Anything that came out of the trunk of my brothers 70 Chevelle had the opportunity to be the worst beer ever. It all depended on the seasons. If it was late fall / early spring you had a chance at beer that hadn't undergone either freezing or extremely hot temps.

Barring that it has to be anything Michelob. I don't understand wht they are still in business. Somehow regular Michelob gave me the squirts every time I drank it and that was from bottles.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #1466
JDSanders
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Deming, NM
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy
I won't even try Chelada. I hate tomato juice (and bloody marys) so the thought of mixing that with beer just makes me avoid it like the plague.

I suppose one of these days I will end up judging fruit beers or vegetable/spice beers in some competition, and end up with a tomato beer....
Down here in southern New Mexico they drink that crap like it is going out of style. Nothing is better than going to a buddies house only to be offered a beer and getting a chelada!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #1467
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

I'm going to have to go with Grolsch. I bought a four pack for the nice swing top bottles, and I'll never do that again. Absolutely the most disgusting beer I can imagine drinking. I seriously poured the remaining 3 down the drain. Actually it was the toilet, since I was worried the smell might come up from my sink when I was trying to cook food. And this is from someone who spent most of my early 20's drinking King Cobra 40's, and Mickey's when I had a little more cash. I've even FINISHED a Steel Reserve 40 once, and I'd do that again before I'd drink a Grolsch.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #1468
Garth_86

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Edmonton, AB

Kokanee from Alberta. Its crap.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #1469
Garth_86

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Edmonton, AB

Really what was it about grolsch? I actually don't think its too bad
Kegged: Alberta Brown, Espresso Stout, Cass-A-Wheat

Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #1470
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth_86
Really what was it about grolsch? I actually don't think its too bad
Wasn't me who made that post, but I agree. With both of you.

He indicated they were the swing-top bottles. Those happen to be green. Why some brewers put beer that gets exported across the Atlantic into green bottles is beyond me, but the result is an inevitable skunk bomb. Same thing with Pilsener Urquell and Heineken - the latter makes me snicker every time a douchebag drinking the stuff (typically straight from the bottle) refer to themselves a beer snob, almost inevitably as part of a complaint about how they are "too" picky about beer.

But if it's from a can (and I assume the same for draught), it's alright. Certainly not horrible. Although of the three main euro-skunks I mentioned, Pilsener Urquell is the most notable - pretty much just as bad as the others when bottled, but when it's from a can or a keg that's reasonably fresh, it's actually a fantastic beer.