Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Banana Beer?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #21
ScottConklin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just sampled it at 24 hrs fermenting and it is interesting indeed. Difficult to explain, like a sour apple crossed with banana, highly palatable at this point. Sticky and sweet. The alcohol content is so low that it hardly registers as a beer.

It was thick and syrup-like so I added some sugar water to even it out. I will allow two more days of fermentation and taste again..as of now it seems that it will be a winner..

Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #22
ScottConklin
Recipes 

I'll taste again today at 48 hrs, the fermentation has slowed a great deal...

Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
ScottConklin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilOssiferzStone View Post
This is a fascinating thread to stumble into. The Arawak Indians of the Caribbean made banana beer too, and the 17th century buccaneers who sampled it found it 'very light and nourishing.' Their method was simply to mash up the bananas and put them in a hide bag with some water and honey for the better part of a week. Then they'd dig the sludge out of the bottom, make it into little sun-dried cakes, and pound it up for flour so you could have banana bread to go with your banana beer. Waste not, etc.

Up until this moment I had no idea people all over the *world* were making the stuff. Please keep us posted. Inquiring minds want to know. So do historical reenactors...
Awesome, I love it that there are others interested in the alcoholic drinks of indigenous peoples. I find this entire area fascinating, the rituals, tradition and whatnot.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
ScottConklin
Recipes 

Alright I just tried a bit.

It starts with a cool sourness and ends with a light essence of banana bread.

"very light and nourishing" is as good a description as I can give. There are no strong flavors just a tartness like a Granny Smith apple and the aroma/aftertaste of baked banana bread.

The alcohol content today is maybe 1-2%, it is certainly alcoholic but it is just barely noticable.

It is effervescent and very refreshing. It went marvelously with a bowl of shrimp gumbo. The thick sweet/sour perfectly complimented the boiled shrimp and sticky okra. Leaves your mouth with a cool, clean sort of feeling.

Fantastic, I'm tempted to have another.

I am going to bottle and refrigerate some as it is today and allow the rest to go another day. I'll check back in tommorow.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #25
jmg727
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I just bottled an experimental batch of Banana Beer - pretty quirky as I did not use any bittering ingredients. I had heard that the fermentation process took the banana aroma and flavor away, which did not happen. My end result smells faintly like bananas, but has a strong and heavy cooked-like banana taste (the heavier sweeter elements of the banana). I'm not exactly loving drinking it, as it is a bit heavy, but hey I'll see what happens when it carbs up a bit and gets cold.

This is my recipe.

I used a hand blender to combine about eight pounds of bananas (peeled) with about a gallon of water. I added one half pound 6-row and a teaspoon of powdered amylase enzyme. I mashed this at 150F for 90 minutes, then added about 1.25 pounds of honey and brought it to a boil. I used a strainer to separate about 2 gallons of wort from the blend and brought it to 205F. I cooled the wort to about 120F, added pectic enzyme, and let it cool further to 85F when I pitched my yeast (I used Saftbrew T-58). The OG was 1.060. After about a week in primary (it fermented violently) and 10 days in secondary, the SG/FG was 1.00. In about a month I'll taste the carbed/cold product and let you all know what its like.

One more thought, it fermented in my basement at about 70F, and I used T-58 to try to match some of the expected sweetness with a bit of pepper/spice. But that did not happen.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #26
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 115

How did this turn out?