In the dog house - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > In the dog house

Old 09-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

Well, the kid was wrong for taking beer that wasn't his.

But come on, you were asked to bring the beer into the house and your wife got chewed out for it. All you had to do was bring the beer in. I'm sure you guys knew that the neighbors don't keep their kid on a leash! You knew he wandered the streets looking for alcohol at night! Dammit you KNEW it was YOUR JOB to watch the neighbors kid for them! And you blew it.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

In my eyes, there are two issues here:

1) Yes, you should have brought in the beer when your wife asked. That's a little thing.

2) You are absolutley and in no way responsible for the actions of a kid who doesn't respect boundaries and is old enough to know better.

True, leaving the beer out gave him an opportunity. However, he would have found a way to do something wrong anyhow.

You should apologise to your wife for not doing as she asked. It's not about her being the boss; it's about a cooperative and peaceful marriage.

You should tell the neighbor that you don't take any responsibility for the theft of a perfectly legal substance on your property.

Your wife should be able to discern the difference here.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

It's not your job to child proof the neighborhood.

You don't have to take responsibility for smoothing things over, but you're probably the only one who will. Let things cool off for a day or two, and see if you can have a calm, rational conversation with one or both of the gals.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Puyallup, WA
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Yeah, I honstly feel only a little bad over the situation. I've already banned the girl's deranged boyfriend from my home, looks like some of his psychosis is rubbing off on her. I'm sure telling my wife that I don't want her friend in my home will set off another powder keg...... oh well.

My Keezer Build

My Kegbot Over 1000 pints poured!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
You don't have to take responsibility for smoothing things over, but you're probably the only one who will.
That's the burden of a peacemaker.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Your neighbor isn't mad at your wife, she's mad/disappointed with her son. Your wife isn't really mad at you, she's mad/disappointed with her friend's reaction toward her. I think this is called kick the dog complex, but since I'm a dog lover, I recommend you go kick the neighbor's boyfriend out of frustration with your wife. At some point it could get back to the kid which is the root of the problem. I hope this helps.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
JoshuaWhite5522

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Puyallup, WA

Carrot- Very true, I do feel bad for the kid too. There isn't any descent role model in his life or anyone imposing limits on his delinquent behavior.

My Keezer Build

Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

You'd be in more trouble with her if you'd have shot the kid while he was trespassing and stealing from you...

But, if you're wife is anything like mine, even being right in the biggest sense of the word doesn't manage to trump the wrong of not listening to her the first time, which could have prevented you being right. I suggest letting her cool off and then forget about it. You can always win the argument later if she won't let it die...

Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
jmendez29

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
Your neighbor isn't mad at your wife, she's mad/disappointed with her son. Your wife isn't really mad at you, she's mad/disappointed with her friend's reaction toward her. I think this is called kick the dog complex, but since I'm a dog lover, I recommend you go kick the neighbor's boyfriend out of frustration with your wife. At some point it could get back to the kid which is the root of the problem. I hope this helps.
Haha. Ain't that the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
In my eyes, there are two issues here:

1) Yes, you should have brought in the beer when your wife asked. That's a little thing.

2) You are absolutley and in no way responsible for the actions of a kid who doesn't respect boundaries and is old enough to know better.

True, leaving the beer out gave him an opportunity. However, he would have found a way to do something wrong anyhow.

You should apologise to your wife for not doing as she asked. It's not about her being the boss; it's about a cooperative and peaceful marriage.

You should tell the neighbor that you don't take any responsibility for the theft of a perfectly legal substance on your property.

Your wife should be able to discern the difference here.

I think this is the best one. The only thing you did wrong was to not bring the beer in like your wife asked you to. That is the only thing that should be apologized for. Just make sure you don't take the fall for the rest of it.

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
JoshuaWhite5522

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Puyallup, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
I think this is the best one. The only thing you did wrong was to not bring the beer in like your wife asked you to. That is the only thing that should be apologized for. Just make sure you don't take the fall for the rest of it.
I don't plan on it (taking the fall for the rest), we'll see how she is feeling after we both get home from work. I'll problably be relaxed, she will be stressed out. Thats usually how things are.

My Keezer Build