Skeeter Pee - Page 62 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Skeeter Pee

Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #611
Atek
Recipes 

May 2010
, South Dakota
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Has anyone tried adding Synsepalum dulcificum to Skeeter pee?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #612
Clifton
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts

Wow.....HBT is full of all kinds of information.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #613
pi_brewer
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Angeles City, Pampanga

I don't know if anyone has given you an answer, but my 48 oz. bottle says it contains the juice of 31 lemons. 48/31=1.54 oz of juice per lemon.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #614
Aspenextreme
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Atlana, GA
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Put my second round of nutrient in and doing its thing. When it ferments dry is it ok to put the kmeta, sorbate and sparkaloid into my car before racking? I dont have a spare carboy right now. I am assuming it is but wanted t ask.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #615
Indian_villager
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Claymont, Delaware
Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
I'm pretty sure that I've read this entire thread, but not positive. I don't think this has been asked so......

Lemon Juice has no sugar in it. Couldn't you just ferment the sugar water and add the lemon juice after it is done? Does the fermentation process break down the lemon juice and change the flavor of the beverage?

I have 5 gallons going right now that I waited 6 hours after pitching to add the first bottle of juice and another 9 for the second. I had CO2 production at each addition.

I had the same question listed above. Why is it that the lemon or lime juice can't be added at the end of the fermentation?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #616
gregkeller
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Westwood, NJ
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I did something very similar to this. I basically made a 4.25 gallon starter with inverted sugar and water, yeast nutrient, etc. Then after fermentation was going like gangbusters I added one bottle every day and aerated it each time. Seemed to work pretty well. I got a weird sulfer like smell, and the acidity was super harsh. I don't know if it's because of the way that I did things, or the fact that I used store brand lemon juice. Ingredients were the same as "Real Lemon" but maybe something about it gave me the off flavors. I wasn't nuts about it. I have around half of the batch sitting in bottles in my basement. Maybe this summer they will have mellowed out a little bit.
Keg #1 - Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2 - Janet's Brown Lite
Keg #3 - Blonde ale w/ Huell melon hops
Fermenting: Berliner
On Deck- Saison, Big IIPA

Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #617
Atek
Recipes 

May 2010
, South Dakota
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

I would think that adding the lemon juice during fermentation would stress the hell out of th yeast and cause some off flavors. When you start it with the juice the yeast are already adjusted to the high acidity. You should be able to ferment the inverted sugar solution to completion, stabilize, then add the lemon juice and back sweeten. I would imagine the yeast do play a part in consuming some part of the lemon juice and changing the flavor profile a bit.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #618
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Harrah, OK
Liked 90 Times on 57 Posts

Actually, lemon juice does have sugar in it - not much, but some (1 gram per ounce). Maybe adding it per the recipe lets the sugar in the lemon juice ferment out, so the Pee softens - isn't as acidic?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #619
Honda88
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Pella, IA
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

if you add the lemon juice after fermentation it might cause your drink to be extremely sour but I haven't done it so I don't know

Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #620
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Havertown, PA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I had a batch going with intent to let it go dry before adding the lemon juice. I lost my patience and tossed in a bottle when the ferment slowed.

Heres the funny part.. the yeast seemed to like it. The pulp bits served as nucleation points, but i think the yeast get something out of it too. I just put in the second bottle (this is like day 35) and it perked up again!
I have heard it said before that yeast can eat sugar but cannot survive on sugar alone.. might be credible.