Skeeter Pee - Page 209 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Skeeter Pee

Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #2081
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Harrah, OK
Liked 90 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchevytruck61 View Post
I was thinking about making this recipe but my question is. Are the kmeta and sorbate absolutely necessary or could you make this without it?
Thanks for any replies

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Certainly. It will ferment dry, and if that's where you like it, you're done. If sweetened with to taste with natural sweeteners, the sugars will add food, and the yeast will start eating and passing gas again. If bottled while the yeast is active there would be a big risk for bottle bombs, hence the sorbate to inhibit the yeast's growth. Alternatives to using sorbate would be to use artificial sweeteners; or to pasteurize the naturally sweetened pee, which would kill the active yeast. (For details on pasteurization, see the thread(s) in the cider forum.)

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #2082
Oldchevytruck61
Recipes 

Feb 2014

Thanks for the reply. I use Splenda for my wines and it seems to work good so I will probably just do that.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 AM   #2083
Texconsinite
Recipes 

Jan 2014
Houston, TX
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Yes, the kmeta and sorbate prevent renewed fermentation. Without them, the yeast would start up again when you backsweeten, and u get bottle bombs

On Deck: Rhubarb-Blackberry Wine, Dragon's Blood, Homegrown Cascade Pale Ale, some kind of Saison

Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #2084
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Dallas, Georgia
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I bought the stuff to make this last night. I plan on making it soon. I'm using 4 bottles of lemon juice to make it extra tart. I also plan to bottle carb and pasteurize. I used this method on a caramel apple hard cider and it worked well. I am also using fresh rehydrated yeast instead of a slurry. I'm going with two packets just for the extra cell count. Hopefully this will come out tasting more like lemonade instead of wine.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #2085
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Astoria, NY
Liked 2123 Times on 1408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153 View Post
I bought the stuff to make this last night. I plan on making it soon. I'm using 4 bottles of lemon juice to make it extra tart. I also plan to bottle carb and pasteurize. I used this method on a caramel apple hard cider and it worked well. I am also using fresh rehydrated yeast instead of a slurry. I'm going with two packets just for the extra cell count. Hopefully this will come out tasting more like lemonade instead of wine.
Careful, without backsweetening this stuff comes out dry as *Game of Thrones Spoiler alert* my eyes when Joffrey died.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Arpolis Likes This 
Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #2086
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Dallas, Georgia
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Careful, without backsweetening this stuff comes out dry as *Game of Thrones Spoiler alert* my eyes when Joffrey died.
I'm going to backsweeten according to recipe. I'll bottle carb then pasteurize. No worries, I am fully caught up on GOT. I loved watching that little turd choke.

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #2087
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Dallas, Georgia
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So, a quick question. If I plan to bottle carb and stovetop pasteurize the batch, do I omit both the Kmeta and Sorbate? I am pretty sure those two chemicals mixed together are what kill the remaining yeast. I just want to be 100% sure.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #2088
poptarts
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Laramie, Wyoming
Liked 457 Times on 324 Posts

yes

Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #2089
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Dallas, Georgia
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptarts View Post
yes
Thanks Poptarts. That was very brief, but helpful.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #2090
Cottonmouth
Recipes 

Sep 2013
Parker, CO
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

I just finished my 2nd batch of skeeter pee and it's just too acidic for me. I thought I had a cast iron gut but I can't drink a half a pint without getting serious heartburn. I've been mixing it half and half with apfelwein and it makes a helluva nice cider drink.