Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #1861
jimmyjjohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a cranberry wine going right now that should be ready for it's first racking soon. I think I will use the yeast from that. How does a cranberry lemon skeeter pee sound?
Could I just leave about half a gallon of the cranberry wine in the primary and add the skeeter pee ingredients right to it?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #1862
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Yes you can. I even think there are a couple accounts of that on the skeeter pee web site. I think it sounds great.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #1863
Paschendale
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjjohn View Post
I have a cranberry wine going right now that should be ready for it's first racking soon. I think I will use the yeast from that. How does a cranberry lemon skeeter pee sound?
Could I just leave about half a gallon of the cranberry wine in the primary and add the skeeter pee ingredients right to it?
I think that sounds like it would be wonderful! What recipe are you using, because I would love to try that myself with a batch. Or, rather, I assume you are using the already quoted Skeeter Pee recipe, but what was the makeup of your cranberry wine?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #1864
Texconsinite
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 34

After doing several batches, I've found that the recipe on the site responds well to adding every kind of fruit I've tried. Even just a few pounds of fresh fruit in a bag will significantly flavor the batch, especially when backsweetened with a can or two of frozen concentrate similar to fruit used (or as close as u can get) However, the fruit versions seem to clarify slower than just regular pee would. Sofar tried:

Primary Backsweeten
Fresh Pineapple Pineapple Mango Juice
Grapefruit White Grapefruit Juice
Watermelon Rinds Mango Passionfruit Juice
Mixed Berries Berry Blend Juice

As I havent made other wines (yet) I have always used a starter 5 days before dumping in, as detailed on SP website
(1 Gallon jug, 1lb Table Sugar, Half Gallon of 100% juice similar to what kind I'm making, top w water, throw in yeast and shake, shake, shake)

Old 01-15-2014, 03:17 AM   #1865
Kirkwooder
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I see the recipe for this calls for the addition of 3/4 tsp. of tannin. Does everyone add this? and does it matter wether it is the liquid or the powder tannin?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #1866
D_Nyholm
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwooder View Post
I see the recipe for this calls for the addition of 3/4 tsp. of tannin. Does everyone add this? and does it matter wether it is the liquid or the powder tannin?
I have only made it without and have been happy. Have some for my next batch though to see the difference.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #1867
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I use a different tannin source for my SP. I used 1 TBS of Earl Grey black tea just loose leaf dumped into the primary.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #1868
Paschendale
Recipes 

I'm betting the tea adds a nice, subtle flavor as well, or am I just assuming, there?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-01-2014, 04:29 AM   #1869
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

To be honest I am not sure if I am one to ask. I have never tried SP without the tea. So if one of you that has made it with normal wine tannin could send me a bottle I will be happy to give comparison notes!

Old 02-01-2014, 04:32 AM   #1870
Paschendale
Recipes 

I'm no judge either, lol. I've only done one batch but once I get a second carboy I'd like to always have some in the works. I used wine tannin, though. Tea would be cheaper, though. How much did you use per batch?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew mobile app