Whats the best Thermometer? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Whats the best Thermometer?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Jcmccoy
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Homewood, Illinois
Posts: 270
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Whats the best Thermometer? I had a floating one but it mettled and its now broke. I had a lab thermometer and ... I dropped it and broke it. I have been using a dial thermometer but it has been dropped in boiling wort and is now not calibrated and warped. I would like a digital one with a probe. Also one with a wire that I can stick in my mash tun would be nice. I may buy a new dial one to stick on my HLT lid.

Thanks for any help!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
3PegBrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Illinois
Posts: 822
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmccoy View Post
Whats the best Thermometer? I had a floating one but it mettled and its now broke. I had a lab thermometer and ... I dropped it and broke it. I have been using a dial thermometer but it has been dropped in boiling wort and is now not calibrated and warped. I would like a digital one with a probe. Also one with a wire that I can stick in my mash tun would be nice. I may buy a new dial one to stick on my HLT lid.

Thanks for any help!
I'm just replying because I'm watering at the mouth waiting for opinions.

I currently use an analog thermometer I got at Target. It gets me by but I want something better and not expensive or fragile.



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Now THAT is a blowoff tube! Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 806
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


I don't know whats the best, but I hate my Taylor 9842 waterproof thermometer. It has no auto off and I basically have to replace the battery each brew day.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,787
Liked 159 Times on 115 Posts


Everyone claims by the thermapen (http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/) which is kinda pricey. However I have 3 different thermometers that give me different problems and probably totalled $70 so may the $100 for that one isn't bad!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Jknapp
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Seattle
Posts: 212
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Thermapen! The best in my opinion. Its a bit spendy, but you can use it in the kitchen and the brewery. Its a great tool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
3PegBrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Illinois
Posts: 822
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Everyone claims by the thermapen (http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/) which is kinda pricey. However I have 3 different thermometers that give me different problems and probably totalled $70 so may the $100 for that one isn't bad!
Looks....interesting. It also sounds fascinating. My crystal ball shows a possible buy!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Now THAT is a blowoff tube! Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
klyph
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 1,805
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts


If you get one of these:

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...u=8646003&pfx=

Then you can put one of these:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=109

In each of the vessels you want to measure the temperature, and you can just plug the reader into each probe for an instant accurate reading.
__________________
10 gallon electric system
Stovetop 110v single vessel 5 gallon system

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
Banjoman76
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Owosso MI
Posts: 154
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


This is what I use:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Long-stem...er_p_1237.html

It uses a common watch battery in case you forget to turn it off

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
rico567
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Central IL
Posts: 3,015
Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknapp View Post
Thermapen! The best in my opinion. Its a bit spendy, but you can use it in the kitchen and the brewery. Its a great tool.
This. And I use it in both places, too. It rocks for baking as well as brewing. I still have the old foot-long dial thermometer that came with my kit, and it sits in the boil pot during chilling, but for all my other brewing needs, it's Thermapen all the way. $100 well spent.
__________________
“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2010
SC
Posts: 276
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmccoy View Post
Whats the best Thermometer? I had a floating one but it mettled and its now broke. I had a lab thermometer and ... I dropped it and broke it. I have been using a dial thermometer but it has been dropped in boiling wort and is now not calibrated and warped. I would like a digital one with a probe. Also one with a wire that I can stick in my mash tun would be nice. I may buy a new dial one to stick on my HLT lid.

Thanks for any help!

I think you need to invest in one of these since you keep dropping them



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blichmann Thermometer vs Bobby_M's EZ Weldless Sight/Thermometer Combo Pivzavod Equipment/Sanitation 14 07-18-2010 12:01 AM
whats the best soak for a carboy killian Equipment/Sanitation 25 06-20-2010 10:10 PM
Whats the best Temperature Controller psi3000 Equipment/Sanitation 11 12-31-2008 06:29 AM
Whats the best way to cut the top off of a keg? chrisknight Equipment/Sanitation 9 07-08-2008 09:52 PM
Whats wrong with this brew pot? jcarson83 Equipment/Sanitation 8 05-28-2008 09:40 PM


Forum Jump