Last year I tried making some Norton wine with grapes from a local vineyard. I think the grapes could have used some more time on the vine; they were only like 22* Brix (if I'm remembering my notes correctly). Fermentation went fine, and I racked a couple times, and let it bulk age for the past year in a carboy.
When I sampled it last year it seemed really tart, but being my first attempt at grape wine, I figured it would mellow out with age and de-gassing. I tried some recently, and man, it's still super tart. The first sip makes my jaws ache like one of those super sour candies.
I do not have any acid testing equipment, and honestly I'd rather not at this point.
So, I'm steering away from trying to neutralize some of the acids with lime or things of that nature. I'd really like a malolactic ferment anyway to add some complexity, since I have not used oak, either.
I bought a packet of Lalvin ML bacteria (this stuff: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/bacteria.asp
), but figured it wouldn't hurt to double check with you guys before using it. The instructions say to add it directly to the wine (no pre-hydrating) immediately after primary ferment. Mine was done fermenting many months ago. Will this really make any difference?
Since I've read this bacteria is not as tolerant of sulphite, I do not plan to rack the wine first (because I don't want to rack it without protecting it with a little fresh sulphite). I'll just pour it right into the carboy & let it go for a couple/several more months, then rack at that point before bottling.
Or at least that's the plan. I'm open to suggestions.