Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need advice on pitching starter ASAP!! Wort is in fermenter, waiting for yeast!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
pinkfloyd4ever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need advice on pitching starter ASAP!! Wort is in fermenter, waiting for yeast!

(sorry, I really hate to post this in 2 sections, but no one has even looked at it in the yeast section yet)
So anyway I just got done brewing a Two-Hearted clone. I've been stepping up a yeast starter from the dregs of 2 bottles of Oberon on my stirplate since Tuesday. Yesterday I stepped it up a 3rd or 4th time and put it into a 2L flask. I put it in the fridge today at about 3:45 when I was starting the mash. [it's currently 9:45 here] It looks like there's still a lot of yeast in suspension, and maybe not as much as I'd like to pitch at the bottom....at least compared to when I crash cooled and decanted a few days ago.

BUT my wort is chilled and in the fermenter waiting for yeast. I was very careful (borderline anal) about sanitation throughout the starter and brewing processes.

Should I
A) decant now, wait for starter temp to reach wort temp and pitch?
B) leave it in the fridge a few more hours, then decant, warm and pitch?
C) put it in the freezer to speed up the flocculation?
D) pitch the whole starter now? (though I don't really want all that crap wort in my 2 hearted baby)
or
E) something else?

link to photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.gentsch/Homebrewing#

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like your starter is only 1L. Is this a 5 gallon batch? If so, I'd just pitch the whole thing.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuphish View Post
Looks like your starter is only 1L. Is this a 5 gallon batch? If so, I'd just pitch the whole thing.
yes, 5 gal batch. I did crash-cool and decant a few days ago though, and I've been using lots of Wyeast nutrient and DAP. I guess I'll just warm the starter and pitch. I don't want any bacteria or wild yeast that may have 'slipped through the cracks' to start multiplying and fermenting it
BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

You will be drinking great beer in a couple of months. Warm it and pitch like kuphish suggests.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 62

1l to 5 gal is negligible when it comes down to flavor, color, etc. what did you end up doing?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

ya, about an hour after I posted I decided to go ahead and warm it to room temp and pitch the whole thing. I think I was freaking out a bit much, but I guess that happens when you're doing something new.

Anyway, the airlock was bubbling like a champ this morning. Thanks for the responses guys