Fermentation Box or Deep Freezer converted? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation Box or Deep Freezer converted?

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Pierce
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Charlottesville, VA

I'm tired of using my swamp cooler and exchanging the water bottles 2x daily and only having room for one carboy. So I'm thinking of either building a fermentation chamber with foam board or trying to find a large deep freezer. Obviously there's a slight cost difference freezer (off CL)+temp controller > foam board and computer fan.

Does anyone have any strong opinions of one over the other? Or has anyone just had a major fail with the foam board and wished you had just bought the freezer the first time?

Life is good. Death is pleasant. Its just the transition that is troublesome.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Marsdude
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Fort Collins, CO, Colorado
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I made a fermentation chamber out of an refrigerator. I see these all the time on Craigslist for little or nothing. If you could get a cheap fridge and a Johnston controller it might be the same price as the foam board (or close).

You can tell by the look on their face -
this brew's a Shambles

Old 09-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
dogtailale
Recipes 

Jul 2010
puget sound

Do this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side...-build-105054/

Use one of these http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-build-163849/

fridge = free to 50$
+
controller = 30$
+
Misc=20$
===============
happy brewer

Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Pierce
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Charlottesville, VA

I saw both of those builds and I very well might use the controller, but I'm not sure I really want to go destroy a side by side fridge like that. Especially since I know I'm moving in a year and a half. At least if I leave the fridge/freezer intact maybe I can sell it to someone.

Life is good. Death is pleasant. Its just the transition that is troublesome.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Liked 1302 Times on 998 Posts

Old fridges and freezers are a dime a dozen, sometimes even free here in Jersey, look around for an old one on the cheap rather than try and build something out of new materials.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Live Music Capital of the World, Texas
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Build = fun and DIY, but if you are on a budget, the time and materials will go a long ways toward a chest freezer and a temp controller. I tried to build one, got halfway done, and with all the time and money I put into the design and materials, I could have already found one on Craigslist and bought a controller [which youll have to do anyway]

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots