Bird's Good Life Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to sampling Bird's beers....

This beer is light in color and very clear, I can read my watch through the glass! Carbonation is right on the money for an English Pale Ale. The taste is balanced, you can definitely taste the sweetness of the malt but also the bitterness of the hops. I prefer American PA's to English PA's but this is very good. Excellent job, Jay!! :rockin:

Did you bottle with corn sugar or DME? The recipe lists both options.

Cool, glad you liked it! I'm glad it was still good, it's getting a little long in the tooth, not the kind of beer I would expect to age particularly well. Only have two bottles left, I should crack one tonight.

It was my first mash, supplemented with a couple pounds of DME. Honestly, I can't remember a lot about what the process was, whether I Irish Mossed it or forgot (wasn't taking as good notes as I do now).

Did you get any grapefruit out of it? Cheese did, and I don't know why. It's Fuggles and Kent Goldings, IIRC, neither of which is particularly citrusy.

Primed with corn sugar, as usual for me.

I'm just tasting the hydrometer sample from my IPA - THIS beer kicks major, MAJOR ass (in my ever-humble opinion). Not as good as Hop Whompus, thought!

Thanks for the kind words! I'll send the money to your paypal account promptly!

I'm not getting any grapefruit although it's been at least 10 years since I've tasted a grapefruit! It's not something I like so since I like your beer, it probably doesn't taste like it.

Back