Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking onto yeast cake

Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
dirtymartini
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Racking onto yeast cake

I have a Sierra Nevada clone in my primary that I will be racking into my secondary. I plan on brewing a Magic Hat #9 clone next. Can I pour the wort from the Magic Hat clone into the yeast cake left behind by the Sierra Nevada clone with out giving it any funky flavors? I ordered liquid yeast with the Magic Hat clone, but can always save that for the next brew right?

Also, what would happen if I added the liquid yeast and racked onto the yeast cake...an explosion????

Quote:
He brews beer AND is a pilot. There is no female on this planet that would tolerate both of those time- and money-consuming hobbies at once.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:22 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Sure you can do this and many do. What you have is a great big starter. It is generally best to do lower gravity beers first and then the larger gravities beers 2nd. There is no need to add additional yeast but I would use a blow off tube so there are no worries.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
dirtymartini

Recipes 

Default Trub?

Do I need to get rid of any of the trub from the first batch, or can it stay in there?

Quote:
He brews beer AND is a pilot. There is no female on this planet that would tolerate both of those time- and money-consuming hobbies at once.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Seeing as how the yeast and trub is normally mixed together I think you will have to leave it there.I might try to get out all the extra wort if possible.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
dirtymartini

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Seeing as how the yeast and trub is normally mixed together I think you will have to leave it there.I might try to get out all the extra wort if possible.
I tried to screen out most of the heavy stuff when I went from the brew pot to the primary, so it doesn't look too bad. No matter what, it will still be beer right?

I would really like to try AG, but want to get few more extract brews under my belt (both literally and figuratively!)

Quote:

Old 10-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
37OliveStBrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just came along this thread and want to be sure I am hearing this right. If I have beer A in a fermenter which I am going to rack off and I am brewing wort for beer B I can just rack beer B onto the yeast cake left over from beer A and I don't have to pitch any more yeasts (read buy anymore yeast).

If this is true this hobby just got a bit more fun. Buying yeast doesn't bother me and yes I realize you want to use the right yeast but if you can save here or there it makes it a lot more interesting.

Hope to have this confirmed by someone.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You can indeed rack off beer A and pour new wort right on top of beer A's yeast cake, trub and all.
The second beer should be bigger in all ways so that the flavors from beer A do not overwhelm beer B.
There are a few people around that are vehemently opposed to this practice since it is overpitching considerably for most beer. I racked a 2.5 gallon of BW on the cake of a 5 gallon pale ale. I seemed to work very well.
In addition, if your sanitation practices are not strong, you could be introuble doing this...
I would say do it once and then read this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...strated-41768/

Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37OliveStBrews View Post
Just came along this thread and want to be sure I am hearing this right. If I have beer A in a fermenter which I am going to rack off and I am brewing wort for beer B I can just rack beer B onto the yeast cake left over from beer A and I don't have to pitch any more yeasts (read buy anymore yeast).

If this is true this hobby just got a bit more fun. Buying yeast doesn't bother me and yes I realize you want to use the right yeast but if you can save here or there it makes it a lot more interesting.

Hope to have this confirmed by someone.
Yep. I have a barleywine that was fermented on a centenniel blond yeast cake... gonna repeat the process ( different first beer but even lighter) this week sometime......HOWEVER if you are really into saving some money ( not a huge amount, it is just cool to me to do this) look into YEAST WASHING. I have done it twice now and it works like a charm.
Never mind.. I lloked at Northernlads link AFTER I posted.. there ya go!
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

So, I bottled a low abv beer on Saturday and was planning on brewing a higher alcohol beer the next day, Sun evening. After racking to my bottling bucket I re-sanitized my airlock & stopper and put the carboy with the yeast/trub back into my fermentation fridge.

Life got in the way, so I didn't brew on Sunday. Now it's Tuesday, and I probably won't be able to brew until Thur or Fri. Is that too long to leave the yeast sitting there? Was the next day too long, and should I have planned to brew right away the same day? If not, how long do you guess would be too long to leave it there? Fridge is temp controlled to about 70-72 degrees.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 11-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default pitching on a yeast cake

I am also planning to pitch a tripel into a cake of a dubbel that is fermenting right now. How long can the yeast cake hang out before problems arise.

Thanks,

Sheldon