Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help me come up with my 50th Birthday (or my Memorial) 5 year aged Barleywine recipe.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I rather like the idea of a "Revvy Memorial BW" but you have to be around to drink it in 5 years! Quit being such a puss and brew! I can tell you from having a wife who works in a cancer center that attitude plays a HUGE part in your health, if you accept defeat, then thats what you face.
Now can we come up with a recipe that will take 72 hours to start fermenting and then never bubble the airlock??

Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
i rather like the idea of a "revvy memorial bw" but you have to be around to drink it in 5 years! Quit being such a puss and brew! I can tell you from having a wife who works in a cancer center that attitude plays a huge part in your health, if you accept defeat, then thats what you face.
Now can we come up with a recipe that will take 72 hours to start fermenting and then never bubble the airlock?? :d
+1,000,000,012 :d

Reason: fixed smiley

Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make sure to use a secondary though....

Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
We don't know what Revvy's been going through, but if it stopped him from brewing, it was serious.
Um, well, we kind of do have the basic details in another thread...

Revvy, I love the idea of getting back into brewing with this beer. Here's to being around to enjoy it in five years and for a few more years after that!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2875 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
Revvy, you've got a lot of people in your corner.
Thanks, gang!!!!!

I forgot that the mods moved this thread I have a heart murmur and electrical blockage of the heart?!?!? to secret chit chat, and even though a couple have asked if I wanted it moved back, and I said yes, they keep forgetting to.

Basically it was discovered in July that I have 2 separate problems with my heart. Turns out I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve AND ALSO evidently I have Ideopathic, nonischemic cardiomyopathy. They think that the cardiomyopathy is not related to the valve, but was the result of a rogue infection (possibly even swine flu) that ended up knocking the crap out of my heart.

I went through a ton of tests, and was it looked like I was going to get the valve replaced sooner than later. But they realized that the heart damage wasn't directly related, and therefore the valve replacement won't more than likely make my heart any better. Since valve replacements are only good for a decade or 2 and me being young the cardiologist wants to hold off surgery as long as possible, and see if the copious meds I'm on can help my heart function improve (I'm only running 6 cylinders on an 8 cylinder engine. )

But there's only so much improvement my heart can do, and even with the inevitable valve replacement, they don't think I'll ever be "healthy" again. In fact it's a 30,30,30 proposition, 60% odds that I will stay the same or improve, and 30% I'll get worse.

I'm supposed to lose weight, and start walking (after being restricted for 6 weeks) and I see the docs again in November, and we see what's going on.

So it's been a pretty freaked out ride. And obviously as much as I'm on here, actual brewing and other things have been on the back burner.
But folks on here and facebook have been amazingly supportive during this time, as well as my family and my amazing girlfriend, who is sticking with me through this.

So, Thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate it beyond measure...now, help me come up with a recipe, gang!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
now, help me come up with a recipe, gang!
PM BM!!

BierMuncher and Yooper both seem to have recipes coming out their ears.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
tallybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How's this for a start?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/frie...eywine-116935/

Old 09-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
IrishBrew
Recipes 

Revvy,

I've never brewed a BW so I can't be much help with a recipe. I don't live in your neck of the woods so I can't come help brew. If, however, there is something else that I can do just let me know! Maybe I can help chip in for some of the ingredients or send you hops or something.

Primary: Amber Ale, ESB
Secondary: Apfelwein
Conditioning: lots
Keg/Tap: Pliny the Elder, Steam Ale, Oatmeal Stout

Gallons brewed in 2010: 80
[last updated 11/17/2010]

Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #19
Starderup
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Oh, yeah, and I'd call it something like Bypass Barleywine, or Coronary Classic.

If it was me, I'd label it "I've Got A Heart On For You" and put a big heart in the middle of the label.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
OsbornBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Her ya go Revvy, take it back to where it all began.

Anchor Old Foghorn Clone (All Grain)

21 lbs (9.45 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb (0.45 kg) 80L Crystal

Mash at 148 F (64 C) for 60 minutes with about 7 gallons (29 L) water to collect 6.5 gallons (24.6 L) of first wort. (You may need two lauter tuns to do this if you choose to do an all grain recipe. Drained mash can then be sparged with 175 [79 C] water into another kettle to produce a "small beer.")

2.0 oz (56 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (first wort) 37 IBU
1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (45 min.) 18.4 IBU
1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (30 min.) 10.5 IBU
2.0 oz (56 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (dry)
1 Whirlfloc tablet or 1 tsp (5 ml) Irish Moss (20 min.)
California Ale Yeast

Boil wort 60 to 90 minutes with hop additions above. Cool to 68 F (20 C) and pitch a generous amount of yeast (pitching the dregs of a previous 5 gallon batch is recommended) and aerate that sucker like nobody's business. ferment at 68-72 F (20-22 C) rousing the yeast if fermentation appears to stall, for two or more weeks, then siphon into secondary. When gravity nears target final, siphon into another carboy onto dry hops and cold condition at 45 F (7 C) for 18 months. Package, condition and enjoy!

Original Gravity: 1.101 (25 P)
Final Gravity: 1.043 (11 P)
IBU: 65.9

Monroe, OH

BREWS - Brewing alot, kegging alot, bottling more, updating less, check Facebook if you need to know for sure