Beer Tasting - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Beer Tasting

Old 01-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Axegod
Recipes 

Jun 2006
Ajax, Upper Canada (Toronto)
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was in NYC over the holidays and was able to buy some beers that I could not get up here: Magic Hat 9, deadguy ale and sam adams boston lager.

I was disappointed in the magic hat and boston lager - the hops didnt agree with me. I could barley drink the magic hat. I managed a few boston lagers but could imagine ever buying it again.

I liked the dead guy ale, but dont think I would ever brew it just because it seems to me like a one/two beers-at-a-time-brew.

I also had a Alt beer up here - and didnt like it either.

Maybe I was too focused on pilsners over the last 6 months. Based on this, I don't ever think I could become any sort of beer judge as my personal tastes would interfere with being objective. Then again SWMBO would like the idea much anyway.

Cheers
On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Old 01-13-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Revere, MA, Massachusetts
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

To be honest, axegod, the problem was not the beer. The problem was that you were on New York City. FOCUS here - don't think I'm throwing a curveball to ya. You drank some very good beers. Above the bar beers. You drank them, however, in....a'heh....the armpit of the Northeast. They would have been much tastier had you partook in them in.....say.......Providence or Boston or Manch-veg or (even best) Portland. Those be some good beers. Don't let New York ruin that sh*t for you, man.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Says the obviously un-biased and subjective guy from Mass.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts

The Magic Hat 9 doesn't do much for me anymore (regardless of where it is drunk). I had a real hoppy red ale they have out, can't remember the name, that is pretty damn kick-ass, but #9, eh... OK, but probably the wrong time of year for it.

The Sammy, it's good, but it's also the default choice for a "decent" beer at a wedding or Christmas party or whatever, so it doesn't really jump out at me anymore. Good, not exceptional.

Dead Guy is friggin' awesome. There's a phenomenal restaurant in Williamstown that has Dead Guy, Rogue Imperial Porter, and Hop Devil all on tap. Damn good beer. I may dig up Lorena's clone for that sometime.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 01-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Revere, MA, Massachusetts
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Let's face it - we could perfect an all-grain all-allstar Carmel Cream Ale and if one were to sample is in Manhattan it would taste like a rubber tired on a kia. This is not a prejudice, it is simply telling it how it is. The fact that I am from Massachusetts bears none on my opinion that NYC is an armpit. It simply is. Guilty as charged.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

So what facts do you base your argument on? What evidence do you have that beer tastes like "rubber tired on a kia" in New York? You must be able to prove this if it is not a prejudice like you said.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
muzleldr
Recipes 

Jan 2007

hello 1st post hear . I had two good beers lastnight .Boddingtons pub ale and Paulaner Salvator Double Bock. Kicked my A55!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Evets

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Lancaster County, Pa.
Liked 232 Times on 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzleldr
hello 1st post hear . I had two good beers lastnight .Boddingtons pub ale and Paulaner Salvator Double Bock. Kicked my A55!
Hey muzleldr, Welcome. Why not go to the Introductions heading and tell us who y'are!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would think that if one does not like being in NYC some beers there might taste all the better as they would be a form of escape.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
evanmars
EAC Wannabe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2006
Springport, Michigan
Liked 58 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
The Magic Hat 9 doesn't do much for me anymore (regardless of where it is drunk). I had a real hoppy red ale they have out, can't remember the name, that is pretty damn kick-ass, but #9, eh... OK, but probably the wrong time of year for it.

The Sammy, it's good, but it's also the default choice for a "decent" beer at a wedding or Christmas party or whatever, so it doesn't really jump out at me anymore. Good, not exceptional.

Dead Guy is friggin' awesome. There's a phenomenal restaurant in Williamstown that has Dead Guy, Rogue Imperial Porter, and Hop Devil all on tap. Damn good beer. I may dig up Lorena's clone for that sometime.

Tell me the name and give me directions. Might have to go there next Saturday night after looking for a place to live.

Primary - Duck Lake EPA
Duck Pee (Cream of Three Crops variant)

Secondary - 0
Kegged - 0 No kegs anymore :(
Bottled - 0