Not your average "should I scrap it" question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not your average "should I scrap it" question

Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
OblivionsGate
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Steel City, PA

Hello all! I was super into brewing a good bit ago, brewing batch after batch, on here everyday, etc. But other stuff picked up and I totally fell out of it. Well, after picking up an oak cask, I want to jump headlong back into it

Here is the question: when I say fell out, I mean quit cold turkey! I have three beers in secondary that have been there for somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 1/2, 2 years! Temp has stayed relatively consistent, airlocks on tight, no signs of mold. I know dumping beer is a last solution, but is this stuff even good anymore? If it is, can I just bottle it up like no time has passed?

Also, if it's good, what about throwin it in the oak cask?

Primary - Mead
Secondary - Mead
Bottled - English Bitter, Mead, Dandelion Wine

Old 09-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3390 Times on 3245 Posts

um....taste it. How are we supposed to tell you if it's good? It's at YOUR house

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 09-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

I'm sure they are frakin fantastic! If they smell and taste good then they're good.

More information would also be helpful: what style beers? Original gravity?

Oak casks are only good for certain styles. Also, stronger beers will age better and can actually benefit a lot from sitting around for a couple years

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
OblivionsGate
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Steel City, PA

Haha, I guess tasting it couldn't kill me! I'll give them a smell and a taste before I try bottling them.

They are a belgian wit and a firecracker red (an amber ale with cinnamon candies), what is best for a cask beer?

Primary - Mead
Secondary - Mead
Bottled - English Bitter, Mead, Dandelion Wine

Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
pwndabear
Recipes 

Mar 2010
buffalo, ny
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

well, if they have been in the secondary for that long, at least they havent been sitting on the trub for so long. there may be a layer of dead yeast on the bottom of the container so what i would do is rack the beer off of that bottom layer to a tertiary for a week (trying it in the process to make sure its still good), and then bottling or kegging. If bottling, you may need a repitch of yeast. If it has lost anything, dry hopping wouldnt hurt depending on style of the beer. It should be ok, I would imagine, though there could be a risk of oxidation from sitting there for so long.

Keep us up on this! I want to know how it comes out!!!