Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Effeciency and the steel braid???

Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #21
rj0715
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

my 2 cents worth..... looks like you cant stir up the bottom of the mash therefore you leave a bunch of sugar content in the bottom of your tun hence the 10 to 20 point drop in efficiency as compared to others with braid.......

Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

consider a copper tube manifold. no problem with cleaning, floating, crushing the braid or stirring worries. i switched a few months ago. world of difference.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on putting a coil of copper wire inside the braid. I had floating/crushing issues, so I put in a spiral of solid copper wire (12 gauge house electrical wire). No more issues. Also, your braid looks really long.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #24
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunBikeBrew View Post
+1 on putting a coil of copper wire inside the braid. I had floating/crushing issues, so I put in a spiral of solid copper wire (12 gauge house electrical wire). No more issues. Also, your braid looks really long.
i just stretched mine out from the relaxed state of ~5/8 x 8 to ~1/4 x ~14. good idea on the copper coil inside, i have yet to re mash since i stretched and added my copper cap filled with solder to weigh the end down.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie