Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Wyeast 1084

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
kanepole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wyeast 1084

This is the first time I have used this style of yeast, although i've used wyeast before. Has anyone else used this? I brewed a Irish Draught Ale extract kit from northern brewer on Sunday. i pitched yeast at 1800 hours. Well now it's Tuesday 2000 hours and nothing yet. Recipe called for 62-72 degrees for fermentation, i have about 63. Is this a notorious slow starter? When should i think about repitching? I can't find an answer anywhere else. I was really excited for this beer! Thanks in advance for any and all feed back.
--Ken

Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I've used this strain many times to make some big beers as well as many Irish style brews. It is a little slow sometimes, depending upon how fresh the yeast is, how big a starter was, etc. Give it a bit more time and see what happens before you pitch another strain. Every time I've used this strain, it has always completed its job, regardless of how slow it started.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
kanepole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the response AHB. My OG was 1.042 should i take another gravity reading to see if anything is going? or not mess with it for another day? One thing i forgot to mention, my wort was 65* when i pitched. I wanted to pitch at 72* but my wort chiller was a bit too efficient! Maybe another reason for sluggishness?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i would take a reading tomorrow evening if you dont see any activity. right now things are most likely fine

Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
kanepole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Some one just told me to "relax, don't worry, have a home brew"! HA i totally forgot about that part of brewing! Thanks again, i'll post a response to how much better things are going soon.

Reason: typing too fast

Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

If there aren't visible signs of fermentation, I wouldn't even bother to take a gravity reading. This will only increase the odds of infection. I'd give it to the end of the week (I've had a few instances where the batches took a few days to start) and go from there.

RDWHAHB! (or 2!)

Old 09-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #7
Fat Guy Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For a primary fermenter, I use a plastic pale. One time when my air lock wasn't bubbling, I found that air was escaping from around the gasket in the grommet hole in the lid, rather than going through the air lock. I jammed the air lock in further and the beer turned out fine. Then I replaced the gasket.

Brewing: IPA
Fermenting: Oktoberfast
Aging:
Drinking: Fat Guy Porter, Fat Guy Tire, AJ's Raspberry, SWMBO Slayer
Up Next: Xmas Ale

Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Did you remember to oxygenate your wort after you pitched? A good vigorous stir with a sterile spoon does wonders. Yeast need oxygen to being respiration and preproduction. When you boil the wort, you're taking oxygen out of it. You should be fine though. RDWHAHB.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
kanepole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Once i added everything (but the yeast) to my 5 gallon plastice carboy, i placed the top on and rocked it back and forth pretty good. After which i stirred it right before pitching. So there was good aeration. But alas i have some good news, there is good action coming through the airlock. About a bubble a second! Don't know exactly when it started but it is 1130 am central time now and it's going. This is my first experience with a slow start to fermentation. Thanks everyone for the advice. I've got it documented in my notes for future reference. Thank you again..
-Ken

Old 09-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Good to hear it took off finally. Once in a while you get slow starting yeast, but that strain will be in there for the long haul.