Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Turbinado, Belgian Candy or Corn Sugar?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
nicadrick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Turbinado, Belgian Candy or Corn Sugar?

I am formulating a IIPA recipe and need some guidance. I am curious how much of any of these to use to augment my grain bill?

What percentage of the grist fermentables should be from these sugars? What risks do I run if the percentage is too high?

How to decide which to use?

Should I stay away from adjuncts and do it all with grain alone?

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions and advice.

Rick

Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Keep in mind that the more sugar you add, the less body you'll have in the final beer. It would taste pretty watery if it's a lot of sugar. I wouldn't go with more than a few pounds at most.

There's nothing wrong with adding sugar to an IPA, I use 1.5lbs of corn sugar in my IIPA, but I would try to make most of your batch with grain. If you're thinking about doing this because of mash tun size, then I'd suggest using a late addition of extract instead of a bunch of sugars.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
commonlaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For something like an IPA, I'd keep sugar under 10%, and maybe stick closer to 5-7%. You will possibly get a bit more flavor and complexity from the turbinado than the others. Radical Brewing has a good discussion of using sugar.

Edit: I think some sugar in a IIPA is a good idea--it can be nice to lighten the body so it's not too syrupy.