Next on the list.... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Next on the list....

Old 01-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Yin_Yang
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Newfield, NY (5mi from ithaca)

Went to the HBS yesterday, and got an Irish Stout kit. My irish wife loves Guiness (go figure LOL), so she asked if i could make a stout my next batch. I can't wait, but i need to get my first batch out of primary first, though i'm thinking about using my bottling bucket as a primary, i'm just not too sure on the seal the spout and bucket have going on. I can always just go to the HBS again and buy another primary.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

I've used a bottling bucket as primary before, but that's just because it's a huge bucket and has alot of space in case of excessive krausen.

Personally, I recommend having at least 4 vessels. 2 6.5+gal primaries, 1 or more 5-gallon secondaries, and a bottling bucket.

But if you're cheap:
Typically the lid seals are set up so that you can use it as a fermentation vessel, but you should check to make sure you have a rubber seal. I'm going to assume that your lid has a little hole with a rubber grommet, or at the least, a hole to accept a small bung. Given that assumption, here's a way to find out how good your seal is before you even add beer: snap the lid on tight all the way around. Insert the bung (if needed) & airlock. Make sure the airlock has water in it as is typical. Now, watch the airlock, and push down on the lid. If you get movement/bubbles, then you have a fine seal. If not...get a new primary. And if you don't have a hole in your lid, you can always drill your own. I recommend making it just big enough to accept the smaller (5/8") bungs. Make a practice hole on another piece of scrap plastic first, though.

However, like I said, I recommend getting at least another vessel. You'll want another for secondary conditioning/clarifying. You shouldn't be going from primary to bottling bucket unless it's a hefe.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Yin_Yang
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Newfield, NY (5mi from ithaca)

LOL thanks for the info, but I think you misunderstood me. Currently I have one primary fermenter bucket, one bottling bucket and 2 glass carboys for secondary. I only have one active batch in the primary. The bottling bucket lid has a hole for the airlock, which is why since my batch in the primary is still fermenting i was thinking of using the bottling bucket, as a primary fermenter for another SECOND batch, that's all. But i kind of want to keep it as purely bottling, so I think I'm just going to go buy a spare primary bucket for situations like this.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7718 Times on 5421 Posts

I use my bottling bucket occasionally for a primary when my primary is full. No problem- just make sure you are really careful to get all the trub out of the spigot and sanitize it. No biggie at all.

Lorena