Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Vinegar Making

Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
leviticus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Vinegar Making

Does anyone have any experience making vinegar? I have now read in several places around the internet that indicate it can be quite dangerous for a home brewer - basically, you run the risk of contaminating your entire brewery indefinitely with the acetobactor? My intention is to use a store bought (HBS) liquid mother - I do NOT want to use a powder mother.

If it's as simple as 'don't let the two system touch' (a vinegar system consisting of a single ongoing crock) then I'm not as concerned. Any tips or advice from anyone in getting started, maintaining separate brewing and vinegar setups?

I have an interest in making red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, and malt vinegar (from beer). Right now, I'm thinking of keeping 'ongoing vinegar crocks' in glass drink dispensers (e.g. - http://www.infusionjars.com/).

Thanks for any tips/advice/warnings!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would think you would want to keep everything seperate after the boil, as in seperate buildings/cellars, etc. The acetobacter will be and is in the air all around us, you would be concentrating it however in your building/cellar that you are using for vinegar.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no (intentional) experience with vinegar.

You may have better luck with this question in the wine section?