First time 10 gallon brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hambone

Reaction score
I normally do 5 gallon extract batches on my stove for ease of time and space. I bought the ingredients to do 2 5 gallon batches of Thunderstruck Pumkin Ale and the LHBS guy mixed all of the grains together. I'm a little worried about trying to seperate the grains and doing two different batches, so I was thinking about doing a 10 gallon batch in my turkey fryer outside. Do I boil for the same amount of time as normal? Do I use the same amount of water to boil? I know these are simple questions and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to them, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks in advance.

Scaling a recipe up won't make THAT much of a difference for grains, especially just if you go from 5-10 gallons. There WILL be a difference in hop utilization though: you'll definitely get a hoppier beer. If you're not looking for that, maybe cut back on your hops by a quarter or a half an ounce? (I'm just spitballing the numbers.)

topping off with water on the stove or full boil? try to figure what your boil-off rate will be given the different conditions with the fryer.

Back