Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Can I grow hops in Tucson AZ?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
HH60gunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Can I grow hops in Tucson AZ?

Like the title says I'm curious if I would be able to grow hops in Tucson Arizona. Also if I can which would be the best for this environment. Also how long does it take from seed to vine to start being able to harvest? I'm still a noob to brewing, and am an even bigger noob to gardening. Except for my little jalepeno plant that is pretty easily maintained.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
evanos
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I just bought 4 hop plants from High Hops in August, put 'em in, and now that they're a little established they're taking off. Some of the younger leaves are burned, but I think as long as you keep them on the North side of your house/residence, they should be fine. I have mine on the north side of my fraternity by the U of A.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
HH60gunner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanos View Post
I just bought 4 hop plants from High Hops in August, put 'em in, and now that they're a little established they're taking off. Some of the younger leaves are burned, but I think as long as you keep them on the North side of your house/residence, they should be fine. I have mine on the north side of my fraternity by the U of A.
Thanks man I appreciate it.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
wolfareno
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Resurrecting this thread.

How are your guys' hops doing? I'm thinking about planting some at my place in Tucson, but I'm not sure if they would be best in the back yard (west facing, full sun from noon-sunset) or along the north side where they would get much less sun. I understand they like "full sun" but that may not be the case in Tucson

Do you water daily in the summer?

Thanks for any help!

-J

Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Here's a thread you may want to check out.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/growing-hops-az-174023/

Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
wolfareno

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks, Soperbrew. I read that thread, but I guess I really just need to get out there and see how green my thumb is

Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
HH60gunner
Recipes 

I never got a chance to grow any because I accepted a contract job in Afghanistan so I haven't been home in the past 9 months. Buying a new house though, so hopefully when I get back I'll get my hop garden going.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
evanos
Recipes 

My hops over-wintered nicely into the 2011 season, and now I've lost track of them. A friend offered to take care of them for now and I haven't seen them, lol. But when I did see them back in June 2011, they were really stout, healthy looking plants. I'll have to get a hold of the guy I'm growing them with.

Bottom line is, if you want to grow hops, just try it If it doesn't work, there's minimal wasted time and effort, and if it DOES work, you get hops!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
evanos
Recipes 

Oh, I should mention: the gentleman that is taking care of my hops for me is an old hort guy from the UofA that did field trials of hops up in Phoenix (yeah, IN Phoenix before urban sprawl). The trials only lasted a couple years, so they never got full results because the funding got pulled.

He said the plants grew alright and even put on cones, but that they didn't put on all the vegetation needed to make it a commercially viable venture. IMO, this may have been an issue with not giving the field trials enough time for the plants to establish themselves (Dr. Bessey concurred). It could have been a day length issue as well. In any case, they grew and produced cones in Phoenix, which is hotter and nastier for plants than Tucson.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
ASublimeDay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My experience with hops is that they'll produce according to several factors, but one of the big ones is soil quality and amount of water provided.

I don't know the price of water in Arizona, but with their water needs and the climate, you're going to need a lot of water for them to put out a healthy yield.

I'd get a 55 gallon bucket or two and set up a rain-catching/auto-watering system. Inexpensive and your girls would be a LOT happier.