I just finished up my mash tun build tonight. Despite some of the write ups I tried to follow I ran into a few things that just didn't work and had to adjust. here's what I used.
- Coleman Xtreme 52 Qt Cooler x 1
- 1/2" ball valve
- 1/2" x 2" brass nipple x1 (another write-up suggests a 1/2" x 1.5" nipple which is just too short to work).
- 1/2" to 1/2" barbed fitting x1 (male)
- 1/2" to 1/2" barbed fitting x 1 (female)
- 3/4" stainless steel washers x 3
- Stainless Steel Hose Clamps.
- stainless steel braided faucet hose. (Both ends cut off), (you must remove the inner plastic hose as you'll only need the stainless steel part to filter the grains.)
The build was pretty simple. Here's the steps....
1. remove the plastic drain plug by twisting it counter clockwise.
2. When you pull it all out there should be a rubber seal on the inside portion.
3. Get rid of everything but the rubber seal you'll need this.
4. The stainless steel washers I had, had to be filed just a little bit to fit over the 1/2" nipple not sure why but I just had to. Also the only ones I could find were rather large and on the inside washer I had to grind it a bit to fit in there right because otherwise the outside of the washer hit the bottom and wouldn't go on all the way.
5. I put the rubber seal that came from the cooler onto the brass nipple just past the last thread. I put teflon tape on both sides then put the nipple with the rubber seal through the drainplug hole.
6. From here I put the grinded washer on the inside, followed by the barbed hose fitting.
7. On the other side I put my two washers, followed by my 1/2" ball valve.
8. I tightened down everything till it was nice and snug but not so tight that it would deform the rubber seal too much.
9. Attach stainless steel braided filter to your barbed fitting with a stainless steel hose clamp. On the other end I used a zip tie to clamp the other end of the filter shut.
9. I tested to ensure it was water tight and was done. Also I picked up some 1/2" vinyl hose to attach to the outside.
barbed fitting > ball valve > washers x2 > 1/2"x2" nipple > rubber seal> Washer> barbed hose fitting > grain filter (SS braided faucet line w/ plastic removed)