RH vs LH Threading - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > RH vs LH Threading

Old 09-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Barganman04
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
New York City Metro Area, New Jersey

Just picked up a Cornelius Primay and 4 Secondaries as well as a Norgren Dual Reg Primary and 4 secondaries.

I don't know how to tell what type of threading they have to buy the correct replacement gauges & couplers. I went to the company websites with no luck.

What to do?

Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Jmac00
Recipes 

Oct 2008
New Brunswick, Can
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On the back of most of my regulators, at each inlet or connection...its stamped LH or RH...take a look, it might say on yours.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barganman04 View Post
Just picked up a Cornelius Primay and 4 Secondaries as well as a Norgren Dual Reg Primary and 4 secondaries.

I don't know how to tell what type of threading they have to buy the correct replacement gauges & couplers. I went to the company websites with no luck.

What to do?
If you look very closely at the last thread on the fitting you can tell. Looking at the female fitting on the regulator body, look at what direction the last thread is going. Counter-clockwise is standard thread, clockwise is LH.

Or, you can take a plain old pipe fitting (Of the right size of course) and see if it'll thread. If it does, it's RH - Otherwise it's LH (Also assuming that the threads aren't buggered.)
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Low pressure fittings will probably be RH and high-pressure LH.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Huntington Beach ☼
Liked 246 Times on 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Low pressure fittings will probably be RH and high-pressure LH.
Not always. I was just messing with some regulators this weekend and found that one of them used LH and one RH for the high pressure fittings. It screwed up what I was trying to accomplish because I wanted to join them for a dual regulator setup. I think it was the Cornelius one that used RH threads and all the other regs I have are LH threads. All the ones that used left handed threads were always marked LH.