Oaking an IPA in the Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have an IIPA that is just coming off its 2nd dry hop and is to be bottled on Sunday.

I also have french medium toast oak chips that have been soaking in Makers Mark for 2 weeks.

I know that with oak a little goes a long way, so I am wondering if there are any tips to oak this beer in the bottle? I know that it is likely best to do so in a carboy... But I am going to try to oak a 12-pack of the batch right in the bottle.

Should I use a few drops of the makers mark soaked bourbon?

Should I clip a small piece (size of a quarter of a postage stamp) of oak chip off an drop it in the bottle?

Thanks for any tips.

this may work, but whatever you do dont put any hops in your bottle. the only way to know about the oak is to try it on two or three bottles.

I'd be ready for some foaming when you open the bottle. I imagine the oak would cause a lot of the CO2 to come out of solution once the tops are popped.

Back