Dude - Red Eye Rye offshoot - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dude - Red Eye Rye offshoot

Old 01-12-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 114 Times on 100 Posts

Dude,
I just racked my desert dry rye (similar to yours, in my sig) to secondary and had a taste. All I can say is BOLD rye bill. The dry-hop and a bit of time should balance this thing out a bit I assume. Yea, this is getting bottled. I'm going to send you this for the FFB prize so you can let me know what you think. Its a bit darker than I hoped as I had to sub carafa with black patent because of my LHBS no stockie carafa and I still used the same amt. I thought they were about the same SRM but aren't.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

I can't wait!!!

That was one of my favorite brews, and got better and better with age.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey fellas, Admittedly I haven't done much searching on the subject, but I wanted to post something before it slipped my mind...

Anyway, I wouldn't mind getting some Rye into a future recipe somehow, but the problem is I'm still just an extract/steeping grain brewer. Is there anyway to work Rye malt/flake rye, etc. into an extract recipe? Can you simply steep this or would I have to partial mash or something?

How should I go about this?

Any assistance is appreciated!

Old 01-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 114 Times on 100 Posts

It's my 1st rye and as you've noticed AG. I'm not sure about the steep. Maybe someone else would chime in. I'd think you'd need to steep a fair amount to get that flavor out of it but maybe not. And unclear if it'd be best to do with flaked rye or grain. Hmmm.. (Pauses and googles).

http://byo.com/recipe/172.html

I didn't read it but there is an extract version referenced towards the end. Google Steep Rye and see what else you can find.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

DesertBrew, that looks like a great recipe. I think I'm going to try it out as a partial mash. I can only fit 4lbs of grain in my 2gl tun so I'll have to trim it some... Thanks for sharing!

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |