Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No Airlock Activity??

Old 09-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
kuips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default No Airlock Activity??

I finished my 9th batch (3rd AG) on evening of Thursday the 2nd, since then there has been absolutely no activity in the airlock, not even pressure to push the liquid to one side of the airlock. All my other brews the airlock has bubbled quite vigorously or I even needed a blowoff.

So I know that this does not necessarily mean it is not fermenting, but my question is - How long should I wait before I open it up the take a hydro reading to be sure that is actually fermenting so I could add more yeast if needed?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

take a peek. and a hydro any time.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

like you said an airlock is not a fermentation indicator. i assume your brewing in a bucket since this is the case with 99% of the "its not bubbling" posts. the CO2 is just escaping elsewhere. really its only been 2 days give it some more time. if you are worried just stick your good ear up to the side of the bucket. you should be able to hear the gentle hiss of the CO2 bubbles coming to the service. if not wait till Monday or so then take a gravity reading.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
kuips
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
take a peek. and a hydro any time.
I did just look at it quickly and there is no evidence of krausen, or CO2 smell.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
Bizoune
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go ahead and pitch a pack of s-05. It won't hurt. Post the results in 48 hours. I'm sure it'll be a go by then.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
kuips
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I looked at it earlier I gave it a good swirl and a few hours later its started to bubble... I do not know if this is b/c of the swirl or just coincidence, but it seems to be all normal now! Thanks.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Since as the sticky in the beginniers beer section clearly states that fermentation can take 72 hours to start....then we recommend that if brewers have any doubts, they take a hydro reading after 72 hours have passed. It's pretty straight forward, and it's a sticky for a reason.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew