Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrewer Arrested
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #291
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 1,327
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
So then, by your logic, people should be forced to exercise -- potentially at gunpoint? After all, it costs you money...
At gunpoint? Thanks for the ridiculous hyperbole.

Why can't people have an honest intellectual discussion without resorting to this stuff?


Synovia is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #292
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 21,087
Liked 4296 Times on 2620 Posts
Likes Given: 3694

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
At gunpoint? Thanks for the ridiculous hyperbole.

Why can't people have an honest intellectual discussion without resorting to this stuff?
That is not hyperbole. All laws are backed up by police force. If you ignore the law, you will be taken by armed police.


__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #293
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 1,327
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
That is not hyperbole. All laws are backed up by police force. If you ignore the law, you will be taken by armed police.
When is the last time you saw someone get a parking ticket at gunpoint?
Synovia is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #294
Justibone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,023
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

I have seen people arrested for parking tickets.

I have seen people resist arrest and force used upon them.

You are not being logical. Where is the endpoint for your "right" to tell others what to do, because it "affects" you? Where is their limit on your freedom?

Okay, forget exercise: alcohol is correlated to cancer. Cancer is expensive. Ban alcohol! It "affects" you!!
Justibone is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #295
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 1,327
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
I have seen people arrested for parking tickets.

I have seen people resist arrest and force used upon them.

You are not being logical. Where is the endpoint for your "right" to tell others what to do, because it "affects" you? Where is their limit on your freedom?

Okay, forget exercise: alcohol is correlated to cancer. Cancer is expensive. Ban alcohol! It "affects" you!!
Having a gun put on you for resisting arrest is not being ticketed at gunpoint. They are two seperate acts.

I have never said to ban anything, btw, so quite the strawman argument.
Synovia is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #296
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 21,087
Liked 4296 Times on 2620 Posts
Likes Given: 3694

Default

Don't pay your parking tickets. See what happens. Don't say I didn't warn you.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #297
tunoffun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 239
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
I have never said to ban anything, btw, so quite the strawman argument.
No. But what you did say, and insinuate, is that other people's actions could indirectly affect your pocketbook, so they should be regulated. Which is ludicrous. Where does your logic end? Am I responsible for your increased gas prices when I fill up my car at the gas station (supply & demand)? Am I responsible for holding up your child's education because my public-school child doesn't have the same IQ? Am I responsible for your STD because I'm the one who gave it to the hooker you slept with?

IMO, one of the biggest problems we face as a nation is our growing acceptance of the 'fact' that personal responsibility starts with someone else.

If your insurance rates go up, it's your INSURANCE COMPANY who's responsible. Noone else. But I'm willing to bet the insurance companies - and lawyers - absolutely love your logic. It does nothing but benefit them as we devour each other.
tunoffun is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #298
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,256
Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Isn't the topic of the thread about the guy in Alabama? If anyone has updates, please post. If you want to debate other stuff would you please consider making a thread for it? I want to keep up with what happens to this guy but there is just way to much noise in this thread not related to his plight.

Thanks.....
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #299
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 1,327
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunoffun View Post
No. But what you did say, and insinuate, is that other people's actions could indirectly affect your pocketbook, so they should be regulated. Which is ludicrous. Where does your logic end? Am I responsible for your increased gas prices when I fill up my car at the gas station (supply & demand)? Am I responsible for holding up your child's education because my public-school child doesn't have the same IQ? Am I responsible for your STD because I'm the one who gave it to the hooker you slept with?
You do realize that the "Slippery slope" argument is a logical fallacy,correct?


Its great that you can use it to go ahead and put arguments into my mouth that I'm not making. Stop being intellectually dishonest.
Quote:

IMO, one of the biggest problems we face as a nation is our growing acceptance of the 'fact' that personal responsibility starts with someone else.
Yes, and part of that personal responsibility comes with accepting the fact that your actions affect others. When you go out and smear yourself across the street because you don't want to wear a helmet, or a seatbelt, or whatever, it drives up my insurance, and my taxes (somebody has to clean the road, investigate, etc.)

Why should you have the right to increase my cost to live?


Quote:
If your insurance rates go up, it's your INSURANCE COMPANY who's responsible. Noone else. But I'm willing to bet the insurance companies - and lawyers - absolutely love your logic. It does nothing but benefit them as we devour each other.
And unfortunately, I'm required BY LAW, to have insurance, and the insurance industry isn't even close to a free market.
Synovia is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #300
tunoffun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 239
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
You do realize that the "Slippery slope" argument is a logical fallacy,correct?
I'd absolutely love for you to explain to me how it's a logical fallacy. I don't think you can. In fact, I think the term 'logical fallacy' is just something you made up to avoid having to concede the point that your logic is flawed.

I'd also absolutely love for your to explain to me how you can possibly draw any line once you start extrapolating responsibility without being a hypocrit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go out for a ride on my GSXR. I'll make sure to pop a high-speed wheelie or two in your honor. Unfortunately, wearing proper gear is a personal choice I'm not ready to forego in spite, but with any luck, if I do get in an accident, I'll be going so damned fast that my insurance company will refuse to honor the policy regardless. And my body will be spread out over such a distance that it will take at least twice the normal man-hours just to scrape me up.

You can sue my wife for your damages.


tunoffun is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alabama Homebrew Legalization brewagentjay General Beer Discussion 247 04-30-2012 01:15 PM
Homebrewing in Alabama wheeble General Beer Discussion 10 12-16-2009 03:35 PM
Gift ideas - from homebrewer to a homebrewer kunstler General Beer Discussion 13 11-11-2009 09:18 PM
One reason why I'll never live in Alabama.. chumprock General Beer Discussion 42 09-27-2009 11:56 PM
Alabama is messed up niquejim General Beer Discussion 7 04-18-2008 12:14 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS