I dislike IPAs... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I dislike IPAs...

Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
millsware
Recipes 

May 2010
Pittsburgh
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I have to agree. I love a lot of hops flavor and aroma, but don't like the overwhelming bitterness.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts

I use to be a big malty guy but that has all changed and now it is the opposite.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Chap

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Kailua, Hawaii
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Gotta admit, I posted almost the same thing back in May http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/ipas-whats-draw-176164/ In just over 4 months I have come to truly appreciate the hops, especially served just under room temp. Matter of fact, there are 3 bottles of a case of Stone IPA left in the fridge that need finishing tonight

Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
prosper
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Edmonton
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the best IPA's feature more hop *flavour* than bitterness. Look at the specifications of a lot of winning IPA recipes and published IBU's for commercial IPA's, and there are many that are only 'moderately' bitter at 30-50 IBU's. Such a beer, when loaded up with lots and lots of late kettle additions and a healthy dry addition in the fermenter will be massively hoppy with lots of fruity and citrus-like aromas and flavours, and yet not particularly bitter.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Perry, MI
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I prefer immense flavor and dry hop aroma to over powering bitterness, but I would still prefer an overbittered IPA to anything with English and Belgian yeast-THOSE taste sour/bitter to me.

IPA's are no fad, they are generally a flagship beer at most breweries, due to a large deomgraphic that love that aroma and flavor. To be sure, the PNW brewers have taken this to an extreme, but it may be a regional taste-it ain't like that in the Midwest/Great Lakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Nov 2008
south of Eugene, OR
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I do love the new belgium Ranger IPA.

But not for the bitterness. They must either have a late addition of cascade, or dry hop with cascade. Because the beer smells and tates exactly like my garage last year when I was drying out my hops.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
TMet

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Tampa Bay
Liked 597 Times on 575 Posts

LOL! I had a long post almost done but the stupid cat closed my window running across my laptop. Screw it I'm going to bed. I'll make it an IPA night in honor of this thread since my car died and I can't go to work tonight.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
Gfei
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Richmond VA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill View Post
I prefer immense flavor and dry hop aroma to over powering bitterness, but I would still prefer an overbittered IPA to anything with English and Belgian yeast-THOSE taste sour/bitter to me.

IPA's are no fad, they are generally a flagship beer at most breweries, due to a large deomgraphic that love that aroma and flavor. To be sure, the PNW brewers have taken this to an extreme, but it may be a regional taste-it ain't like that in the Midwest/Great Lakes.
Hey man, don't dis the sours. Mmmmm sour beer...

|Bar Build|

Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5018 Times on 3388 Posts

No, Henry got it right. Lots of hop flavor and aroma, and sour sucks!

he he...

Old 09-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
iaefebs
Recipes 

Aug 2010
West Coast, MI
Liked 245 Times on 177 Posts

When my kids would return home from college for a visit I would always offer an IPA to them.They would always drink one but that was it. I never realized that they didn't like them and only drank it to be polite. Years later my son admitted that they thought I was crazy to be drinking them. My wife was a Porter, Stout, type of girl but would try a sip of my IPA whenever I ordered one.
Well, now I have a family of hopheads. (dad was not so crazy after all). It's an acquired taste to be sure but try a taste every once in awhile, soon you will know what to expect when you taste one. Then I bet you begin to understand...