I dislike IPAs... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I dislike IPAs...

Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Nov 2008
south of Eugene, OR
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hmm. I have a confession to make.

Seems like everyone I know is a huge fan of drinking hugely bitter IPAs. But I cannot bring myself to enjoy them. I can drink one bottle, then its just to much.

They seem to be super popular around here. Every micro brewery has one or two. Even the ales are bitter as hell. But I cannot develope a taste for them.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Gfei
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Richmond VA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was the same, I liked big malty beers but couldn't bring myself to enjoy the really bitter beers. My tastes have expanded though. There isn't much I can't enjoy anymore I'm happy to say.

|Bar Build|

Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Nov 2008
south of Eugene, OR
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

oh, I can enjoy one of them. But that is my limit.
There is a point of bitterness that no longer becomes a flavor. I went to a brew fest in Feburary. The overal winner was an IPA that was so bitter it gave me goosebumps.

IMO, it was not an enjoyable beer.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfei View Post
I was the same, I liked big malty beers but couldn't bring myself to enjoy the really bitter beers. My tastes have expanded though. There isn't much I can't enjoy anymore I'm happy to say.
That's funny. When I first started brewing, I asked my buddy (who got me started brewing) for some good, lightly hopped beer recipes. He asked why so little hops, so I told him that I didn't care for the bitterness. His response was "Don't worry, you'll learn to like it."

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Priemus
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One bottle might be enough, those IIPA's arnt "session beers" I tend to start off with one, sip away on it for a while, then switch to something "lighter".

Often its just one of those evening beers I take, I cant even remember the last time I drank 2 IIPAs in a row.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

IMO the best IIPAs are the ones that are HUGE in flavor and aroma, but not terribly bitter. I really enjoy a good IPA and IIPA, but rarely have more than a bottle or two in a day. To me they are special beers to savor briefly. But I like variety overall, so it's not uncommon for me to order or drink something different all night long.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
WCrane
Recipes 

Jun 2010
West Chester, PA, Pennsylvania
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I don't mind IPA's now and then, I think the aroma of a good IPA is amazing however after two, my cheeks are puckered and I need something matly to relax my face.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3390 Times on 3245 Posts

Don't feel bad. They're are crazy trendy in the beer market but you should still just drink what you like. You should also try different beers too. I know personally, my preference for hops vs malt usually shifts back and forth every year or two.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts

I love IPAs and APAs, and those are what I mostly drink. I love hops flavor and aroma.

It's funny, but the longer I brew the more I want hops. Even Bob is becoming a hophead- he told me last night that my amber ale on tap "needs more hops". I told him that it is pretty hoppy for an amber, and he just sort of laughed and said to make an IPA.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
TMet
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Tampa Bay
Liked 597 Times on 575 Posts

My taste in beer and "favorite style" is always changing. For me, Stone Ruination put me on a huge IPA kick. At the time I hated porters, stouts, or anything else that felt more like a meal then a beer. For about a year IPA's and IIPA's were, for the most part, all I drank. Then I got hooked on Oaked Arrogant Bastard, then it went to Chimay red as my favorite. I tried a smoked porter out of the blue (which I normally can't stand) and completely fell in love. Now my favorite beer is Sinebrychoff (a porter). All I have been drinking lately now are porters and stouts. IPA's are just an every once in a while thing. Who knows, maybe eventually it will go full circle back to my high school/college days and my favorite will be Budweiser again? I doubt it, but at this rate anything is possible.

Wow, went a bit off topic there... Oh well...