Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #61
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Brian, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm surprised to find you saying it's over carbonated because I always felt it was bit flat. The recipe is Jamil's Wee Heavy: 91.25% Marris Otter, 5.55% 40L, 2.6% Special B, 0.6% roast barley; 34g 8.3% AA Northern Brewer @ 60; Scottish Ale yeast. I mashed at 156 and did some kettle carmalization. OG 1.087, FG 1.024.

Edcculus - I'm certainly not planning to sample all three on Sunday. That'll just be too much. But I will go one by one in three consecutive days.
Hmm, I wonder if this bottle fermented a bit more in the bottle? It definitely didn't taste like a 1.024 FG but it couldn't have gone much lower in the bottle without blowing up! It didn't pour with a big head but there was definitely more tingly carbonation on the palate than I would have preferred for this beer. Still, it was very good. I'll definitely have to consider putting that on the to brew list this winter.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #62
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

I've received all my beers (both packages Ed).

Tried Hookstrat's 4-Grain Wee Heavy last night and I just couldn't come up with a better or sufficiently different review than Brian's. Really good beer that I thoroughly enjoyed. Now I know what a Scotch Ale is supposed to be like. Thanks for sending it!

I'll be out of town until Sunday night but hope to drink a DMC then.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #63
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ed, can you please confirm for me again that you got my package and that all was well with it. The folks at the UPS store are saying they got another call from shipping saying the second package broke as well. But if you say it's all good then I'll let them know.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #64
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

Jackson - yours came with swing top, and red top bottles correct? If so, I did get that package. They were all wrapped individually in plastic bubble wrap self sealable packages.

the only thing I can think is one bottle broke, so UPS removed it and repackaged the box?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #65
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You should have gotten two swing tops, two red caps, and two silver (edit: gold) caps. What did you actually end up with?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #66
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

BTW Ed, what's in the two regular bottles? You guys that sent me the corked/caged bottles, they almost look too cool to open. Almost.

I'll be poppin' my 'opening a corked/caged bottle' cherry.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #67
Edcculus
Recipes 

The corked/caged bottles are the 10-10-10 beer. The other regular bottles are a Rye IPA. Brewed with 2 row, rye, crystal 60, honey malt and some Munich. Around 70 IBUs. Warrior for bittering. Simcoe and Amarillo for flavor. Dry hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo. About 7.5%ABV.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #68
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ed, got your RIPA box, still no 101010. I love rye beers, and especially Simcoe Amarillo dry hopping. I have a rye pale ale on tap (prob just a pint or two left) with the same. yummy!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:54 AM   #69
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Drinking Hookstrat's Imperial Pils

Aroma - Sour. A slight malt presence, but the sour is kind of overpowering for me. It's not boom in your face, but it is pretty obvious. As I work on the glass the sourness is gone and I'm left with malty sweet and plumb. My initial impression is that this will be unbalanced.

Appearance - A bit hazy, but that could be from the shipping. I really like the caramel wheat coloring. Thin dissipating head.

Flavor - Malty rich, wow that's nice. I'm not sure what the sour was in the aroma but it's not in the flavor at all. Sweet on the back of the tongue and just a hint of grassy hop flavors in the front. A slight hint of caramel flavoring.

Mouthfeel - A bit heavy for me. I would like more carbonation or a bit less body considering it's intense malt profile. Somewhat slick but not in a bad way.

Overall - I enjoy this. It's not something I could drink too many of at once, it's a bit too sweet for my taste, but I'd be happy to find one in my hand. The aroma is my least favorite part, it's not terribly inviting with its sweetness and I would personally prefer just a touch more hop bitterness and flavor.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #70
Edcculus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
You should have gotten two swing tops, two red caps, and two silver (edit: gold) caps. What did you actually end up with?
Hmm, If I remember right, I only got 1 swing top. I'm back in my hometown for my wedding, which is 4 hours away from where I live, so unfortunately, I can't check. I do think it was 1 swing top and 2 of everything else.