Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

Old 10-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #101
NCBeernut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Grandmaster?
That's right. No arguing with the Grandmaster....

No that was a joke.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #102
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
That's right. No arguing with the Grandmaster....

No that was a joke.
I suspected but didn't want to offend just in case.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #103
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Soooooo...how you guys feeling this morning?
Woke up a bit thirsty in the middle of the night but other than that fine. I was actually really surprised by how quickly those beers started taking effect though. They're potent!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #104
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
I have reviews hand written of Ed's RyePA and Hookstrat's 10/10/10 but I keep forgetting to post them (they were both good though). I hope to drink/review another tonight and hopefully post all 3.
Yo sca! Where those reviews you keep threatening to post?!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #105
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Dammit I was hoping I'd get to skate one more day. I really hope I don't forget again tonight.

I pulled JB's CRP out of the fridge, I hope it somehow carbs up but I'm gonna give it a while. I haven't chilled Ed's 10/10/10 because I thought it was the one that wasn't carbed yet but I'll pop 'em in the fridge tonight. And then there's the sour BDSA with cherries, I'm a leetle skeered of that one.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #106
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
And then there's the sour BDSA with cherries, I'm a leetle skeered of that one.
KingBrianI told me about that one...feel free to ship that over to me and I will take care of it for you.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #107
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

jacksonbrown's Strong Scotch Ale:

Aroma: Malt/caramel with intense toffee and an almost soy sauce-ish aroma. As it warms the soy sauce increases. I recently had my first Spaten Optimator and it also had the soy sauce aroma as it warmed (best word I can think of to describe it). No hop aroma.

Appearance: Deep copper with lots of red, hazy. Poured with moderate head that quickly dissipated completely.

Flavor: Caramel, malt, and toffee. Some malty sweetness but not as sweet as most SSAs. No bitterness or hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation. Seems low on body and high on carb for a SSA but in an absolute sense not thin or overcarbed.

Overall: A decent beer just a little different than a standard issue SSA. I also sent out a SSA and while mine is different from yours, I missed the mark in some of the same ways. It's an extreme style that tests our intuitions. I still enjoyed it though.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #108
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Edcculus' RIPA:

Aroma: Sweet light citrus aroma. Very light malt and caramel. I really like the sweet/citrus just want moar.

Appearance: Hazy deep copper. Poured a smallish head that dopped to a thin ring.

Flavor: Slightly sweet malt at first followed by citrus hop flavor. Medium-lowish bitterness that somehow lingers along with the citrus flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation. Smooth with some silkiness.

Overall: I really enjoyed it just want more aroma (it's so nice!). I like the silkiness of the rye.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #109
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Hookstrat's 10/10/10:

Aroma: Deep, sweet malt with a slight catty aroma. Low yeasty esters and phenolics.

Appearance: Light amber, poured with good head that persisted well. Hazy.

Flavor: Malty sweetness with light caramel. Not overly sweet or cloying nor too hot. Some light bitterness lingers. Some alcohol warmth but hides the alcohol well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and good carbonation. Slightly creamy, smooth.

Overall: I liked it other than the catty aroma. I may be overly sensitive to that, I've got it in some wines and I seem to just zero in on it. Mouthfeel, flavor, and carb were all very good.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #110
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

For those of you that got my packages, the CRP is carb'd but still needs time to improve. Or it is just is what it is. Like I said this was experimental. I poped one open a couple nights ago and I got the impression of oxidation. I did mark in my notes that there was some syphoning issues, so that could be it. Here's what I wrote the other night:
"Slight tan head, some bubbles clinging to the glass. This is just straight up black. A bit of a cardboard aroma comes through notes of chocolate and dark malts. The first thing I taste is that cardboard - oxydation. behind it is nothing discernatble. Some bitterness lingers on the back. Body is terribly thin."
So not too promising, for which I apologize. I feel like I failed on this swap because none of these beers are indicative of what I normally brew they were just what I had available in bottles. And it was my first attempt at a huge beer (101010), which was a good learning experience. Sorry guys.