Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yeast - How many times can it be reused

Old 01-11-2007, 04:34 AM   #1
weekendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast - How many times can it be reused

Greetings All,

I'm new to brewing and like the idea of reusing/storing the yeast cakes from my primary. My question is: How many times can it be reused. The reason I ask is because I saw a show on the History? channel about brewing and the large commercial brewery they were documenting (Miller I think) said they reuse their yeast batches 3 times and then dump them out and start again. The reasoning was because after 3 uses the yeast would start to change its overall flavor profile. Any thoughts?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Most home brewers use the yeast up to six times....more if no off flavors result from the resuse and your sanitation practices are impeccable.

I use the smallest baby food jars they make to store my yeast and split my harvests into 4-8 jars per generation (do the math) and have had very good results. Using this method, you need to buy yeast only now and again.

Good Luck!!!

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 01-11-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

I have heard that the conventional wisdom is five generations is about the max. After that and the flavor profile of the yeast will change from all the mutations. However, I don't know this from experience. I have gone to the third generation, but no further.

John

Old 01-11-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If I get three uses I'm happy. That is what I shoot for.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use 3, but I have gone to 5 without any problems.

I store my harvested yeast in baby food jars also. They stack well in the fridge. I also label them with the manufacturers number (WLP#XXX), name/style, and batch numbers I 've used them in and the batch number it came from.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I use 3, but I have gone to 5 without any problems.

I store my harvested yeast in baby food jars also. They stack well in the fridge. I also label them with the manufacturers number (WLP#XXX), name/style, and batch numbers I 've used thenm in and the batch number it came from.
Wow, you are one organized person! Just looking at your siggie, you seem to have your brews & recipes numbered, and your yeasts too... wow... I guess I need to start moving that direction if I ramp up my brewing this next year...

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 01-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniscientomar
Wow, you are one organized person! Just looking at your siggie, you seem to have your brews & recipes numbered, and your yeasts too... wow... I guess I need to start moving that direction if I ramp up my brewing this next year...
I hear that a lot, but the truth is I am not that organized...just ask my wife...

The recipes are typed up on the computer, saved on CD, printed, placed in a document protector and posted in a binder. I also update my recipe with notes when I drink a few. It let's me know if anything has gone bad or gotten better over time. Each entry is dated. I do this until the last beer is drunk. I guess you can call that organized, but it's totally by mistake.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I hear that a lot, but the truth is I am not that organized...just ask my wife...

The recipes are typed up on the computer, saved on CD, printed, placed in a document protector and posted in a binder. I also update my recipe with notes when I drink a few. It let's me know if anything has gone bad or gotten better over time. Each entry is dated. I do this until the last beer is drunk. I guess you can call that organized, but it's totally by mistake.
Wow, I'm glad my wife doesn't read these posts... she might get ideas!

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I've heard 10, but I guess it's all just a number. You're basically hoping against a mutation and I suspect some strains are more prone to mutate than others.

I've read anecdotal evidence of homebrewers using the same yeast ad infinitum with nary a problem.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
zweasel
Recipes 

What is the process to saving the yeast. Do you just put the yeast cake in the jars with a little of the beer? I have heard many time of reusing the yeast however, I have never tried.