HomeBrewTalk.com Book - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > HomeBrewTalk.com Book

Old 01-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #11
Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Liked 169 Times on 88 Posts

There are already lots of great photos here that could be used if folks agreed to it.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

That's what I was thinking. The members of this site cover just about every method of production from stove top extract to steam-heated RIMS brewing. And all of the info on how to build it all. Plus, there are enough good recipes around here to easily fill a book. We probably don't need to cover the how to's so much as the "What do I need?" or "How can I use this for brewing?" questions
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #13
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
Oct 2004
Menomonee Falls WI
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

We could also have a chance to bring things that are newer to the home brewing world. Batch sparging is not very well covered in any books that I have read. Kegging is another subject not covered very well, IMHO. An easy how to book could be nice as well as how to make your own equipment.
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant

Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #14
Nov 2005
Pepperell, MA
Liked 129 Times on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by orfy
I think you should get the wiki and recipe database done first, then that will give us a lot of content ready done.
I second that. I rather have a good Wiki than a mediocre book.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #15
Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by the_bird
Here's one thing, to play Devil's Advocate for a second:
From the winepress site:
Is this really the case for homebrewing? "How To Brew" is pretty complete as-is, isn't it? What are we going to be adding as a community that John Palmer hasn't already covered? Or, the combination of Palmer and Papazian; Papazian as the philisophical treatise, Palmer as the technical manual (as someone described them recently).

Is there REALLY a need for another how-to-homebrew book?
You may have hit it close to out of the park, but almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and atom bombs....

No, no need IMHO.... Why?

And the greenboard and all the rest... the info is there, it's ready to be taken, all someone has to do it be comitted enuf to look it up. Just look at the influx of new people who have been hitting the site since Christmas. And everyone who looks it up throughout the year. An actual "book" would be a waste of $. The majority of people are researching things like homebrewing on the web. Hell, that's how I got back into it.

Believe me, I'm not bashing books, I just question the need for it at this point...

Wiki would be a good idea, tho, as long as it points to HBT....

My .02

"They who drink beer will think beer"
-Washington Irving

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com