Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging-3/16" liquid line on 1/4" shanks/tails?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
shroomzofdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 609
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Kegging-3/16" liquid line on 1/4" shanks/tails?

Been mowing through kegging forums and the search engine and couldn't seem to find this answer.

How concerned should I be with 3/16" line on 1/4" inch shanks/tailpieces? It seems like most vendors only carry the 1/4" shanks. Should I look around more for 3/16" shanks or is this a non-issue?

Thanks for any input here.



shroomzofdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,554
Liked 1216 Times on 799 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

The line stretches over no problem. A short dip in boiling water makes it much easier.


__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN! ULWD 5500w Ripple, 2000w, 1500w, etc
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.
Bobby_M is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Hammy71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hammy71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: , Maryland, The Tax Me State
Posts: 5,760
Liked 462 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 718

Default

Yep.....a dip in a coffee cup of hot water and it'll slip right on.
Hammy71 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
bolts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 306
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Don't forget hose clamps -- it might look like it's tight .... but it's a lie

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/why-...-lines-193250/
bolts is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
shroomzofdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 609
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

My question was more one of fluid dynamics and potential for foaming than anything else. Yanno, a 3/16" tubing run hitting a 1/4" shank that's also probably room temp...

Of course I can get a 3/16 onto a 1/4....using brute force all things are possible. ;-)


bolts, saw that one today while link searching!!!!! Yeeeouch! Yep, just ordered a nice pack of small SS worm clamps from mcmaster. I am going to go threaded fittings all the way, but will definately be clamping off any barbs.
shroomzofdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,429
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomzofdoom View Post
My question was more one of fluid dynamics and potential for foaming than anything else. Yanno, a 3/16" tubing run hitting a 1/4" shank that's also probably room temp...

Of course I can get a 3/16 onto a 1/4....using brute force all things are possible. ;-)


bolts, saw that one today while link searching!!!!! Yeeeouch! Yep, just ordered a nice pack of small SS worm clamps from mcmaster. I am going to go threaded fittings all the way, but will definately be clamping off any barbs.
I've never had an issue with foaming that I couldn't trace to line length or pressure or temperature...

Oetiker clamps FTW!

There's a reason every beverage company on the planet uses these - They are great!
And all you need to crimp or remove one is a diagonal cutter - You really don't need the special crimper.

Bonus - They are cheaper than worm clamps, they are smaller than worm clamps, and they don't have that annoying little tail to cut you open like worm clamps!

I use them on every connection I make:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnerwal View Post
What does the primary pressure gauge on the tank tell us? That's right, the temperature. Put it on a scale if you want to know how much is in it...
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!
SweetSounds is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
shortyjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,512
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

+1 for no problems with foaming. You'll be fine.
__________________
Itchy Dog Brewery.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.
shortyjacobs is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
shroomzofdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 609
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
And all you need to crimp or remove one is a diagonal cutter - You really don't need the special crimper.
Ok, that's it...I'm sold. I never used these before and thought you needed the special tool. Any special technique to this?

That is GREAT advice, thanks for posting that!

shroomzofdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
brewingkitty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 578
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts View Post
Don't forget hose clamps -- it might look like it's tight .... but it's a lie

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/why-...-lines-193250/
knock on whatever is convenient, but i have yet to have a blow-out without hose clamps.
__________________
.
"Back when I was in the pen, I used to beat my meat..."

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie
brewingkitty is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,429
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomzofdoom View Post
Ok, that's it...I'm sold. I never used these before and thought you needed the special tool. Any special technique to this?

That is GREAT advice, thanks for posting that!
Not really.
I just crimp it with a side cutter. I crimp from one side, then flip and crimp from the other, just to get it even. YMMV. As long as your crimp pulled the 2 sides together - Regardless of what it looks like - It's tight.

To remove, simply use your side cutters between the "tail" and the "Ring. It's hard to explain, but they come right off - Essentially you have to use your cutters to peel the tail off the ring, and the punch marks that hold it down.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnerwal View Post
What does the primary pressure gauge on the tank tell us? That's right, the temperature. Put it on a scale if you want to know how much is in it...
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!
SweetSounds is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beer line tests & solution to the "plastic" taste kal Bottling/Kegging 249 Yesterday 09:04 PM
Forced to use 1/4" (not 3/16") for 15' beer line? kal Bottling/Kegging 70 12-15-2014 08:20 PM
Connecting 3/16" poly beer line to 1/4" ball-lock disconnect? kal Bottling/Kegging 27 07-17-2012 11:41 AM
"Magic" Filling Line and Overcarbonation? fatmike1968 Bottling/Kegging 2 01-26-2009 03:59 AM
Shanks have "shoulders" inside of them CplHunter Bottling/Kegging 10 08-22-2007 01:26 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS